Object Weight given only difference in weights in and out of water

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 11K views
missnola2a
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




A chunk of carbon steel with density, ρ = 7.84 g/cm3 , is completely submerged in fresh water. The chuck of steel weighs 39 N more in air than in water. Please answer the following:
(a) Find the buoyant force acting on the chuck of steel.
N
(b) Find the the volume of the chuck of steel.
m3
(c) What is the mass of the chuck of steel?

Homework Equations




Fw(air)=Fw(water) + 39 N

d=m/v

Fb=gp(f)V

BUT I don't know how to find the volume.

density of air is 1.16 kg/m3
density of water is 1.0x10^3


The Attempt at a Solution



once I get the VOLUME I can find the relative weights by using rho*g*v
and Fw(water)+ 39N = Fw(air)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The buoyant force (upward direction) in the air is less than in the water, therefore
Fw(air)=Fw(water) -39 N
And you know that (mg-Fw(air))/g = m
 
Weight of the displaced water = 39 N = m*g = density of water*volume*g.
 
ok, a little hazy. Fw(water) is 39N=dens water*v*g? than V = .00398

if so, Fw(water)-39N=Fw (air) than Fw(air) is /38.96??
 
-38.96 (which can't be right) *rather than /38.96
 
missnola2a said:
-38.96 (which can't be right) *rather than /38.96

Fw(in air ) = density of steel*volume*g.
 
OHH,...

so what you are saying is that I use previously acquired volume of .00398 in this eq.

I am sorry if I am frustrating. I mean well!

OH no... do I convert 7.84 g/cm^3 to kg/m^3 ??

if so 7.84 g/cm^3 (100cm*100cm*100cm) * 1kg = 7840 kg/m^3
(1m^3) 1000 G


Fw(air) = 7.84 g/cm3

OR

Fw (air) = 7840 kg/m^3 * .00398 m^3 * 9.81 m/s

is that right?

then to get weight in water I subgract (39N/9.81) ?
 
then to get weight in water I subgract (39N/9.81) ?
No.
The weight in water = F(air) - 39 N.