Obtain the forumal of cos( theta 1 + theta2) .

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ╔(σ_σ)╝
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cos Theta
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 11K views
╔(σ_σ)╝
Messages
839
Reaction score
2
Obtain the forumal of cos( theta 1 + theta2)...

This should be a very basic question. I'm reviewing some linear algebra for my Field theory course but there is a question that I'm suck on.

It says
(a)
Prove that
P = cos[tex]\theta[/tex] i sin[tex]\theta[/tex] j
and
Q = cos[tex]\phi[/tex] i sin[tex]\phi[/tex] j
are unit vectors in the xy-plane, respectively, making angles [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] with the x-axis.

This was easy I already did this.

(b)
By means of dot product, obtain the formula for cos([tex]\phi[/tex] - [tex]\theta[/tex]). By similarly formulating P and Q, obtain the formula for cos([tex]\phi[/tex] + [tex]\theta[/tex])

My solution:
I found that
P dot Q = cos([tex]\phi[/tex] - [tex]\theta[/tex])But the answer at the back of my book says
cos([tex]\phi[/tex])cos( [tex]\theta[/tex]) - sin([tex]\phi[/tex])sin( [tex]\theta[/tex])
I guess this is the same P dot Q, so my answer is the same as the book.But I can't seem to find a simple manipulation for P and Q to get the second formula all I can find is

(P dot e1)(Q dot e1) - (P dot e2)(Q dot e2)

Where e1 = (1,0) and e2 = (0,1)

Again the back of my book gives the expanded for of cos([tex]\phi[/tex] + [tex]\theta[/tex]) so I don't even know what they are trying to say.

3) The third part says if [tex]\varphi[/tex] is the angle P and Q, find |P -Q|/2 in terms of cos([tex]\phi[/tex] + [tex]\theta[/tex])

My solution


|P - Q| = (P -Q) dot (P - Q) = P2 +Q2 -2(P dot Q)
= 2 - 2|P||Q|cos[tex]\varphi[/tex]
= 2 - 2cos[tex]\varphi[/tex]

So |P - Q|/2 = 1-cos[tex]\varphi[/tex]

Right ?

But then my book says the answer is |sin (0.5([tex]\phi[/tex] - [tex]\theta[/tex]))|
So does anyone know what I'm doing incorrect ?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi ╔(σ_σ)╝! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a phi: φ :wink:)
╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
… I found that
P dot Q = cos([tex]\phi[/tex] - [tex]\theta[/tex])


But the answer at the back of my book says
cos([tex]\phi[/tex])cos( [tex]\theta[/tex]) - sin([tex]\phi[/tex])sin( [tex]\theta[/tex])
I guess this is the same P dot Q, so my answer is the same as the book.

If that's meant to be cos(θ - φ), then the book is wrong. :frown:
3) … So |P - Q|/2 = 1-cos[tex]\varphi[/tex]

Right ?

But then my book says the answer is |sin (0.5([tex]\phi[/tex] - [tex]\theta[/tex]))|

i] |A| is the square-root of A.A

ii] 1 + cos2θ = 2sin2θ :wink:
 


tiny-tim said:
Hi ╔(σ_σ)╝! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a phi: φ :wink:)If that's meant to be cos(θ - φ), then the book is wrong. :frown:


That is meant to be
cos(θ-[tex]\phi[/tex])

Btw I made a mistake it should be a + infront of the first sin .
i] |A| is the square-root of A.A

ii] 1 + cos2θ = 2sin2θ :wink:
I see.

I was careless. I'll try again and see what I get.
 


Is there anything else I did incorrectly ? Apart from sqr(A dot A ) = |A| ?What about the maniplulation of P and Q to generate cos ( θ+ [tex]\phi[/tex]) ?
 
╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
Is there anything else I did incorrectly ? Apart from sqr(A dot A ) = |A| ?

No, √(1 - cos(θ - φ))/2 is correct.
What about the maniplulation of P and Q to generate cos ( θ+ [tex]\phi[/tex]) ?

How did you reformulate P and Q for that?
 


tiny-tim said:
No, √(1 - cos(θ - φ))/2 is correct.


How did you reformulate P and Q for that?

But I can't seem to find a simple manipulation for P and Q to get the second formula all I can find is

(P dot e1)(Q dot e1) - (P dot e2)(Q dot e2)

Where e1 = (1,0) and e2 = (0,1)

Again the back of my book gives the expanded for of cos([tex]\phi[/tex] + [tex]\theta[/tex]) so I don't even know what they are trying to say.

As I said previously.

Is there an easier way ?
 


Does anyone know how I can maniplulate P and Q to get cos([tex]\phi[/tex] +θ).


So far I was able to I did

(P dot e1)(Q dot e1) - (P dot e2)(Q dot e2)

Where e1 = (1,0) and e2 = (0,1)
 
╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
(P dot e1)(Q dot e1) - (P dot e2)(Q dot e2)

why minus? :confused:

(what basic formula are you using ??)
 


tiny-tim said:
why minus? :confused:

(what basic formula are you using ??)
cos ( θ+[tex]\phi[/tex]) = cos (θ)cos([tex]\phi[/tex]) - sin (θ)sin([tex]\phi[/tex])

Right ?

Hence, the minus.
 
╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
cos ( θ+[tex]\phi[/tex]) = cos (θ)cos([tex]\phi[/tex]) - sin (θ)sin([tex]\phi[/tex])

Right ?

Hence, the minus.

That's the answer. :confused:

Why the minus in …
╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
(P dot e1)(Q dot e1) - (P dot e2)(Q dot e2)
 


tiny-tim said:
That's the answer. :confused:

Why the minus in …

IF I take the dot product of P and e1 i get cosθ

Q dot e1 I get cos[tex]\phi[/tex]P dot e2 I get sinθ

Q dot e2 I get sin[tex]\phi[/tex]

Combining all of these

(P dot e1)(Q dot e1) - (P dot e2)(Q dot e2)

(cosθ)(cos[tex]\phi[/tex]) - (sinθ)(sin[tex]\phi[/tex])
Sorry I don't seem to see the problem.