Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ocean Surface Current Visualization-worldwide

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

This visualization shows ocean surface currents around the world during the period from June 2005 through December 2007. The visualization does not include a narration or annotations; the goal was to use ocean flow data to create a simple, visceral experience.

(beware, the downloadable visualization files are HUGE)

http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a003800/a003827/

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Nice thing.

I would love to be able to watch it as in Google Earth, selecting places I am interested in.

Actually I wonder if such a program would be not even smaller than the movie I just downloaded. Most of the displayed information is an extrapolation, so perhaps it is enough to remember a vector for just every whole coordinate (degs, latt & long) - and that can be stored with a reasonable accuracy in just two bytes, so 128 kB per whole map (land included), and I doubt they have data better than one measurement per day. That gives around 47 MB per year - minus 25% for lands, but perhaps more dense grid from better known areas. Still, even at 100 MB per year thats far from several GB.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook