1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE Proof (2nd order linear homogeneous equations)

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose u, v are two linearly independent solutions to the differential equation u''+p(x)u'+q(x)v=0. If x0,x1 are consecutive zeros of u, then v has a zero on the open interval (x0,x1)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm trying to use the Wronskian(u,v;x) to arrive at a contradiction.

I know that the W = uv'-u'v is never 0 since u,v are linearly independent. Furthermore, since it is a combination of C2 functions it must also be continuous on [x0,x1] = I. Also if I suppose that v is never zero on I, then it must be always positive or always negative. Same with u, since we know x0,x1 are consecutive zeros. From this I want to show that the Wronskian is positive at some point in I, and negative at another point, which would lead to a contradiction. Is this the right idea?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Surely you don't mean to have both u and v in the equation itself? Since u and v are to be specific solutions, it would be better to say
    "Suppose u, v are two linearly independent solutions to the differential equation y''+p(x)y'+q(x)y=0.

Sounds like a good plan. How are you going to implement it?

4. Feb 7, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

I think there is a direct proof: You have
    [tex]W(x_0) = u(x_0)v'(x_0) - u'(x_0)v(x_0) = -u'(x_0)v(x_0)[/tex]
    and similarly
    [tex]W(x_1) = -u'(x_1)v(x_1)[/tex]
    and, since [itex]W(x)[/itex] vanishes nowhere, [itex]W(x_0)[/itex] and [itex]W(x_1)[/itex] must have the same sign. Thus
    [tex]W(x_0)W(x_1) = u'(x_0)v(x_0)u'(x_1)v(x_1) > 0.[/tex]

Now use the fact that [itex]x_0[/itex] and [itex]x_1[/itex] are consecutive zeroes of [itex]u[/itex] to show that [itex]u'(x_0)u'(x_1) < 0[/itex].

What does that require of [itex]v(x_0)v(x_1)[/itex] if the condition on [itex]W(x_0)W(x_1)[/itex] is to hold?

5. Feb 8, 2013 #4
    Yeah thanks guys, I think I get it now.

v(x0)v(x1) would have to be negative. And since v is cts it must have an 0 between x0 and x1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook