# of electron states in a subshell

In summary, the number of electron states in a subshell with orbital quantum number l = 3 is 14. This is determined by the equation n=/=0, l= 0--> (n-1), and m = -l to l, with a total of 7 possible values for m and 2 spin states each.
damnwebassign

Homework Statement

The number of electron states in a subshell with orbital quantum number l = 3 is:
A. 7
B. 9
C. 14 <-- answer
D. 2
E. 3

I am reviewing for a comprehensive final and maybe its all the studying but I am lost here..

Homework Equations

n=/=0
l= 0--> (n-1)
m = -l to l

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so far I have that if l = 3 then m = [-3,...,3] and that n= 4. Do I just add them up 3+7+4 to arrive at the answer? Is this representative of the different combinations? Orbitals are the one subject I consistently have difficulty with in chem/phys. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Me too - go back to basics: one electron per |n,l,m,s> state.

for l=3, there are 7 possible values for m, with two spin states each = 14 total.

1. What is the significance of the number of electron states in a subshell?

The number of electron states in a subshell represents the maximum number of electrons that can occupy that subshell. This number is based on the quantum mechanical principles of energy levels and electron spin.

2. How is the number of electron states in a subshell calculated?

The number of electron states in a subshell is calculated using the formula 2n2, where n is the principal quantum number of the subshell. For example, the s subshell with a principal quantum number of 1 has 2(1)2 = 2 electron states, while the p subshell with a principal quantum number of 2 has 2(2)2 = 8 electron states.

3. Does the number of electron states in a subshell vary between elements?

Yes, the number of electron states in a subshell can vary between elements depending on their atomic structure. For example, the 3d subshell can hold a maximum of 10 electrons in transition metals, but only 2 electrons in noble gases.

4. How does the number of electron states in a subshell affect an element's chemical properties?

The number of electron states in a subshell can affect an element's chemical properties by determining how easily it can gain or lose electrons to form chemical bonds. Elements with filled subshells tend to be more stable and less reactive, while elements with partially filled subshells tend to be more reactive and form various compounds.

5. Can all subshells have the same number of electron states?

No, subshells with higher principal quantum numbers have more electron states than those with lower principal quantum numbers. For example, the 3d subshell has a maximum of 10 electron states, while the 4d subshell has a maximum of 14 electron states.