1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Off-axis magnetic field between two current-carrying rectangular loops

1. Apr 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Not exactly a homework problem, but the actual working resembles it.
    Basically it is a standard calculation for the magnetic field between a set of Helmholtz coils, except with a rectangular loop instead of circular ie: two identical rectangular magnetic loops (dimensions L x W) carrying a current I in the same direction, placed symmetrically along a common axis, one on each side of the experimental area, separated by a distance d.

I want to be able to calculate the total magnetic field due to the loops at ANY point in between them (off-axis magnetic field). I believe that for circular coils there is no analytical solution for this, but I *think* there should be for a rectangular loop.

2. Relevant equations
    Applying Biot-Savart Law

3. The attempt at a solution
    So at first we start with the same method for finding the on-axis field (which is relatively trivial) - find equations for the magnetic field caused by each loop separately and then sum them at a given point.

We consider each loop as 4 segments of straight, finite wire (2 pairs of length L and W with the appropriate orientation), noting that each pair's current is going to flow in the opposite direction.
    Because of this fact, the on-axis field is easy because the magnetic field components off the axis for a line of wire cancels out with its opposite pair, so we just sum the 4 on-axis fields and we're done.

We can't do this for the off-axis calculation, so I think we need to start looking at perpendicular lengths and angles to calculate the field due to the wire at any point. I can do this in two dimensions (ie: considering the wire to be along the y-axis, and the point we are finding the field at in the x-y plane), but start getting a bit confused in three dimensions when it comes to adding up the components from each side of the rectangular loop - unlike previously, each segment's field will point in a different direction without cancelling neatly.

It occurs to me that the field's magnitude will be the same for a section of wire for the same perpendicular distance regardless of whether the point is neatly in the x-y plane or not, but I get a bit confused combining the different directions with other segments of wires.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wouldn't be too sanguine about your prospects.

I do know that computing the self-inductance of a rectangular coil is very - er - problematic. And what is that but determining the total flux piercing the coil for a given current.

4. Apr 27, 2014 #3
    Ah oh dear, really :(

I just thought that it would nicely break down into summing magnetic field components from 8 straight finite wires, which ultimately makes the problem finding the field at any point (x,y,z) due to a finite wire [I'm already not very comfortable with this though, since I've only ever seen it done in 2 dimensions] - with the difficulty coming from combining the three-dimensional field components, but I thought that was just my own lack of expertise with EM.

So was I oversimplifying the solution?

5. Apr 27, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

IMO yes, but there are wiser souls on this forum than I and I'm guessing that if they have any good ideas for you you will hear from them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted