Official College Football Bragging Rights Thread V2.0

In summary, college football season has finally arrived. So declare your allegiance, talk some trash, and gang up on any USC or Ohio State fans.
LeBrad
That's right folks, college football season has finally arrived. So declare your allegiance, talk some trash, and gang up on any USC or Ohio State fans.

Are there any Notre Dame fans out there? It's ok if you're afraid to come forward because you know your team is overrated and is going to get destroyed by PSU next week.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! Sombody's school finally gets a BCS berth after a couple millenia or so, and they start talking big already!

But you've now used up this millenium's quota of luck. See you on the 23rd, Nit!

I dislike the way top teams play too many no hope teams
while avoiding playing other top teams
I think unsportman like schedules should be addressed by the NCAA
with a simple rule like if you beat a team by more the a given number of points more then twice then you DO NOT play them again for a given number of years
and end the picking of teams by BS for bowls
PLAY OFFS are the only fair way to go

The Trojans' reign is through. They're sixth and falling.

How eager are opposing players to face the Trojans this year? Sam Keller transferred to Nebraska just so he could see the Trojans lose an extra month earlier. :rofl:

Huskers are one game away from returning to the BCS. They'll face Texas twice. They need to beat them once: in December.

BobG said:
Huskers are one game away from returning to the BCS.
:rolleyes:

Not unless they get beat out by ...ummm ... Iowa State!

Anyone watch the triple overtime nailbiter with Iowa State edging out Toledo 45-43 in their opener? Better still, didja watch the exciting 7-6 victory of Middle Tennessee State over Florida International? The scoreless second half was really close...each team doing just as well as the other!

I'm with LeBrad on this one. PSU is going to DOMINATE tomorrow against Akron.

Well,this will be an interesting season. A whole lot of good teams with question marks. I'll have to reserve my trash talking until after I see for myself how the loss of 10 defensive starters is going to effect the season.

I'm not too worried though. The Buckeye "D" always comes to play. I'm really not used to anticipating having an explosive offense, but this year I am after seeing hints of it last season. It'll be interesting to see how coach Tressle calls plays on offense this year.

I'm looking forward to handling Texas in week two. Along with playing Iowa this year (which should determine the big ten champion). Sorry Penn State and that team up North.

I also have to pull for the Huskers. Could get me killed around here if I don't.

RVBuckeye said:
I'll have to reserve my trash talking until after I see for myself how the loss of 10 defensive starters is going to effect the season.

I'm not too worried though.
I am...but I don't believe in being thrifty when it comes to talking trash.

I'm really not used to anticipating having an explosive offense, but this year I am after seeing hints of it last season.
Heck, it's the reason they're ranked #1. Or maybe it's just that everytime till now they've been underrated, and this time the sports-writers and coaches are trying to overcompensate.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
I am...but I don't believe in being thrifty when it comes to talking trash.
Let me just see them in their scrimmage this weekend so I can see the D in action. If they gave the performance of South Carolinas defense gave, in similar circumstances (a young defense), I'll be a little more at ease.

Heck, it's the reason they're ranked #1. Or maybe it's just that everytime till now they've been underrated, and this time the sports-writers and coaches are trying to overcompensate.

True enough about the reason they're pre-season #1 being their offense, after the whooping we put on Notre Dame.

So, are you a Buckeye?

Hey, good news. You don't have to watch college football. Next week, real football starts.

P.S. Does anyone know anything about Bruce Gradkowski from Toldeo?

honestrosewater said:
Hey, good news. You don't have to watch college football. Next week, real football starts.
hey...get your own thread.:smile:
Is that the kid that plays for the Buccaneers? I watched a little of their pre-season games and he was impressive. (for pre-season mind you)

I just checked my local listings and I have all the big boys on non-pay-per-view cable. I'll be flipping between Texas and Michigan at 11 CST. THE Ohio State University starts at 2:30, in which I'll keep the Penn State game on the PIP.

USC, Cal at Tenn, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Nebraska, all have games on tv later on. It'll be a good day to see all the contenders play and I can get a good feel for the talent level.

z-component said:
I'm with LeBrad on this one. PSU is going to DOMINATE tomorrow against Akron.
If PSU loses to a team named after the zipper; a team that plays its home game in the Rubber Bowl, the players will be too humiliated to even finish the season. :rofl:

This actually could be the upset of the season. Akron is a good team from a minor conference. Easy for PSU to underestimate these guys.

RVBuckeye said:
So, are you a Buckeye?
Any clues in my member name?

rose said:
Yup, one of the best QBs to come out of the MAC in recent years. I found him more impressive than Charlie Frye, and on par with Ben Roethlisberger. He's thrown for roughly 10,000 yds and about 100 TDs in his 3 seasons at Toledo - he's consistent, mobile, has a great arm and is built just right for the NFL. I was pretty disappointed to see him drafted as late as he was.

BobG said:
If PSU loses to a team named after the zipper; a team that plays its home game in the Rubber Bowl, the players will be too humiliated to even finish the season. :rofl:

This actually could be the upset of the season. Akron is a good team from a minor conference. Easy for PSU to underestimate these guys.

Well lucky for us it's pouring in State College today. PSU players love the slop.

Are the Irish going to Fight or what?

I'm flipping between 4 games here, but Quinn looks a little gunshy. I'll bet they make a better showing in the second half...or bye-bye heisman.

btw, how 'bout them Buckeyes!

I just can't watch college football for 1 reason - too many teams. I think they should make a new league of say, 30 or so teams and call it the Elite League (like UK soccer). Teams in this league only play other teams from this league (no more cakewalk games). Every year, the worst 5 teams get demoted to the rest of the league, and the top 5 from the rest of the league get promoted to the Elite league.

While the rain was pretty bad today in State College, the Nittany Lions put on a great show. The band played Braveheart songs! I mean, c'mon!

I think the Cal vs Tennessee shows how unimportant pre-season rankings are.

larkspur said:
I think the Cal vs Tennessee shows how unimportant pre-season rankings are.
They're unimportant because they're inaccurate. The further you go into the season, the smaller that error bar gets. And the "hope" is that at the end of 12 or 13 games, the error is smaller than the separation between the teams. Of course, if this were true, different ranking methodologies would arrive at the same order at the end of the season!

As for the Buckeyes, they appeased some of my apprehension regarding the D. The D-line looked very good and the linebackers showed some good game as well, but I'm a little worried about the corners and safeties. The offense proved to be as dangerous as it was chalked up to be. I was nervous that our offense was ranked entirely upon the Smith-Ginn duo, but that turned out not to be the case - there were 9 different players that caught the ball last night. And the O-line was most impressive!

Nevertheless, if the #1 Buckeyes beat the #2/#3 Longhorns at Austin, that, in my book, will count as an upset. I wonder what the oddsmakers have for that game.

Realistically, the Buckeye D worried me a bit too. They were really fast, but caused them to over-commit and be out of position to make a tackle. Especially on those screen passes that went for big yardages. And around 150 yards rushing? Against the Buckeyes? Those things don't bode well for a Texas team that looked a wee bit stronger in comparing their two games.

Also, the field goal kicking situation has me a bit leery. Not so much for the Texas game, but the season as a whole. You can bet on at least one game coming down to a kick. Last few years a 45 yard field go was pretty much money.

Anyway, as for Texas. Although statistically their starting QB, (Colt something) had similar stats as Troy Smith. He did throw a few balls into double coverage, and a good D (which the Buckeyes have) should eat those up. Their running back is fast so the Buckeye's need be a little better prepared to stop the run.

Ohio States corners and safeties played well against the pass. Most of NIU's yardage came on runs or screens. Too bad for them they couldn't make the most of them. Texas will.

What about that freshman Buckeye running back, Chris Wells? Yeah, he fumbled on the 2 yard-line, but definitely extremely promising. I'm talking future heisman promising.

So my prediction for the game next week, barring any injuries or off the field shenanigans. Ohio State 250... Texas 7.

RVBuckeye said:
So my prediction for the game next week, barring any injuries or off the field shenanigans. Ohio State 250... Texas 7.
I believe that would set a record wouldn't it?:wink:

larkspur said:
Only until the week after.

RVBuckeye said:
Is that the kid that plays for the Buccaneers? I watched a little of their pre-season games and he was impressive. (for pre-season mind you)
Yeah, he had 2 interceptions and 2 fumbles against Jacksonville's starters in week 3, but that whole game was a mess, and he did come back and score in the last few seconds -- and still looked hot.
Gokul said:
Yup, one of the best QBs to come out of the MAC in recent years. I found him more impressive than Charlie Frye, and on par with Ben Roethlisberger. He's thrown for roughly 10,000 yds and about 100 TDs in his 3 seasons at Toledo - he's consistent, mobile, has a great arm and is built just right for the NFL. I was pretty disappointed to see him drafted as late as he was.
He's SO great to watch too. I'm just waiting to hear that he has a horrible drug problem or likes to torture puppies or something. Gruden and our GM have both said that they would definitely consider giving him the back-up spot (the other guy, Rattay, never really clicked, but it's his 7th year), but they haven't made any announcements yet. I'm sure they'll make the right decision. I just hope it's the one where Bruce gets to play. :!)

P.S. Sorry for the intrusion. I'll take my swooning elsewhere.

larkspur said:
Yeah, but can they beat the record (222-0) without getting any first downs? In the record setting game, Cumberland held Georgia Tech to 0 first downs (good news), but, alas, they failed to get any first downs themselves, as well - their longest gain was a 10 yard pass on 4th and 22(bad news). Georgia Tech scored on every play they ran from scrimmage, plus returned a few turnovers for touchdowns (even worse news) in a game that was shortened out of mercy (best news).

To be fair, the Cumberland football program was supposed to be cancelled, but Georgia Tech demanded Cumberland pay the cancellation fee. Cumberland wound up playing 3 or 4 games (presumably to other schools that wanted cancellation fees?), losing one game to Sewanee 107-0.

Last edited:
BobG said:
Yeah, but can they beat the record (222-0) without getting any first downs? In the record setting game, Cumberland held Georgia Tech to 0 first downs (good news), but, alas, they failed to get any first downs themselves, as well - their longest gain was a 10 yard pass on 4th and 22(bad news). Georgia Tech scored on every play they ran from scrimmage, plus returned a few turnovers for touchdowns (even worse news) in a game that was shortened out of mercy (best news).
Wonder if anyone was left in the stands by the fourth quarter...ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gokul43201 said:
Nevertheless, if the #1 Buckeyes beat the #2/#3 Longhorns at Austin, that, in my book, will count as an upset. I wonder what the oddsmakers have for that game.
Make the Big 10 proud tomorrow!

Quinn is throwing two poor passes out of every three. The third one, however, ends up being sheer magic.

What's Joe Pa got to do to turn this around?

Gokul43201 said:
Quinn is throwing two poor passes out of every three. The third one, however, ends up being sheer magic.

What's Joe Pa got to do to turn this around?

That was just a good old fashioned beat down. I got nothing.

LeBrad said:
Make the Big 10 proud tomorrow!
You got it, bud!

PS: Wooooo!

Well, I couldn't be happier with the results of the Buckeye stomping of Texas. Holding Texas to only 7 points? (which should have been 3).

That should ease some questions about the inexperienced Buckeye defense. Still, though, Texas did eat up huge chunks of yardage on the ground and also with the screen passes. On a whole, the defensive play calling was outstanding.

Offensively, what can I say? Troy Smith is the man and threw the ball with surgeon-like precision. Ginn and Gonzalez caught about every ball thrown to them. 2 clutch drives. The two minute drill at the end of the first half, answering the only Texas score. Then capping the drive off with a touchdown with 5 minutes left in the game to seal the deal.

The Buckeyes capitalized on turnovers. They just did everything to demoralize the Longhorns.

Next up, Cincinnati. Not one of the rivals that gets the blood boiling, but I do recall Cincy gave the Bucks a little scare in the championship year. Sorry, not happening this year. Ohio State 56...Cincy 10. (second string will be in after the first offensive drive in the second quarter...hence the 10 points)

LeBrad,
I was pulling for Penn State to upset Notre Dame. I'm for the big 10 all the way. (Except head to head of course:wink: ) You're next up after Cincy, in Columbus this year. Any predictions?

RVBuckeye said:
I'm for the big 10 all the way.

Same here, except for Michigan. I want them to lose every game and suffer as they do.

No, I take that back. I do want them to win from time to time so that they get their hopes up, only to have them dramatically crushed the following week by some backwater burg which has no place playing a Big 10 team. That's funnier.

SpaceTiger said:
Same here, except for Michigan. I want them to lose every game and suffer as they do.
Such a well-developed quality of discrimination is rare outside Buckeyeland. You deserve an honorary degree from this place.

<h2>What is the purpose of the "Official College Football Bragging Rights Thread V2.0"?</h2><p>The purpose of this thread is to provide a space for college football fans to discuss and brag about their favorite teams and their successes during the football season.</p><h2>Who can participate in the "Official College Football Bragging Rights Thread V2.0"?</h2><p>Anyone who is a fan of college football is welcome to participate in this thread. It is open to all fans, regardless of their team affiliation.</p><h2>Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in the "Official College Football Bragging Rights Thread V2.0"?</h2><p>Yes, there are a few rules and guidelines that participants should follow. These include being respectful to other fans, avoiding offensive language, and staying on topic with discussions related to college football.</p><h2>Can I post about any college football team in this thread?</h2><p>Yes, you can post about any college football team in this thread. However, please keep in mind that this is a bragging rights thread, so posts should focus on the accomplishments and successes of your team, rather than bashing other teams.</p><h2>Is there a limit to how often I can post in the "Official College Football Bragging Rights Thread V2.0"?</h2><p>There is no specific limit to how often you can post in this thread, but we ask that you avoid spamming or constantly posting repetitive content. This will help keep the discussion flowing and allow everyone to have a chance to share their thoughts and brag about their team.</p>

What is the purpose of the "Official College Football Bragging Rights Thread V2.0"?

The purpose of this thread is to provide a space for college football fans to discuss and brag about their favorite teams and their successes during the football season.

Who can participate in the "Official College Football Bragging Rights Thread V2.0"?

Anyone who is a fan of college football is welcome to participate in this thread. It is open to all fans, regardless of their team affiliation.

Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in the "Official College Football Bragging Rights Thread V2.0"?

Yes, there are a few rules and guidelines that participants should follow. These include being respectful to other fans, avoiding offensive language, and staying on topic with discussions related to college football.

Can I post about any college football team in this thread?

Yes, you can post about any college football team in this thread. However, please keep in mind that this is a bragging rights thread, so posts should focus on the accomplishments and successes of your team, rather than bashing other teams.

Is there a limit to how often I can post in the "Official College Football Bragging Rights Thread V2.0"?

There is no specific limit to how often you can post in this thread, but we ask that you avoid spamming or constantly posting repetitive content. This will help keep the discussion flowing and allow everyone to have a chance to share their thoughts and brag about their team.