Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Official College Football Bragging Rights Thread V2.0

1. Sep 1, 2006 #1
    That's right folks, college football season has finally arrived. So declare your allegiance, talk some trash, and gang up on any USC or Ohio State fans.

Are there any Notre Dame fans out there? It's ok if you're afraid to come forward because you know your team is overrated and is going to get destroyed by PSU next week.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! Sombody's school finally gets a BCS berth after a couple millenia or so, and they start talking big already!

But you've now used up this millenium's quota of luck. See you on the 23rd, Nit!

4. Sep 1, 2006 #3
    I dislike the way top teams play too many no hope teams
    while avoiding playing other top teams
    I think unsportman like schedules should be addressed by the NCAA
    with a simple rule like if you beat a team by more the a given number of points more then twice then you DO NOT play them again for a given number of years
    and end the picking of teams by BS for bowls
    PLAY OFFS are the only fair way to go

5. Sep 1, 2006 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Trojans' reign is through. They're sixth and falling.

How eager are opposing players to face the Trojans this year? Sam Keller transferred to Nebraska just so he could see the Trojans lose an extra month earlier. :rofl:

Huskers are one game away from returning to the BCS. They'll face Texas twice. They need to beat them once: in December.

6. Sep 1, 2006 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rolleyes:

Not unless they get beat out by ...ummm ... Iowa State!

Anyone watch the triple overtime nailbiter with Iowa State edging out Toledo 45-43 in their opener? Better still, didja watch the exciting 7-6 victory of Middle Tennessee State over Florida International? The scoreless second half was really close...each team doing just as well as the other!

7. Sep 1, 2006 #6
    I'm with LeBrad on this one. PSU is going to DOMINATE tomorrow against Akron.

8. Sep 1, 2006 #7
    Well,this will be an interesting season. A whole lot of good teams with question marks. I'll have to reserve my trash talking until after I see for myself how the loss of 10 defensive starters is going to effect the season.

I'm not too worried though. The Buckeye "D" always comes to play. I'm really not used to anticipating having an explosive offense, but this year I am after seeing hints of it last season. It'll be interesting to see how coach Tressle calls plays on offense this year.

I'm looking forward to handling Texas in week two. Along with playing Iowa this year (which should determine the big ten champion). Sorry Penn State and that team up North.

I also have to pull for the Huskers. Could get me killed around here if I don't.

9. Sep 1, 2006 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am...but I don't believe in being thrifty when it comes to talking trash.

Heck, it's the reason they're ranked #1. Or maybe it's just that everytime till now they've been underrated, and this time the sports-writers and coaches are trying to overcompensate.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  10. Sep 1, 2006 #9
    Let me just see them in their scrimmage this weekend so I can see the D in action. If they gave the performance of South Carolinas defense gave, in similar circumstances (a young defense), I'll be a little more at ease.

True enough about the reason they're pre-season #1 being their offense, after the whooping we put on Notre Dame.

So, are you a Buckeye?

11. Sep 2, 2006 #10

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Hey, good news. You don't have to watch college football. Next week, real football starts.

P.S. Does anyone know anything about Bruce Gradkowski from Toldeo?

12. Sep 2, 2006 #11
    hey....get your own thread.:smile:
    Is that the kid that plays for the Buccaneers? I watched a little of their pre-season games and he was impressive. (for pre-season mind you)

13. Sep 2, 2006 #12
    I just checked my local listings and I have all the big boys on non-pay-per-view cable. I'll be flipping between Texas and Michigan at 11 CST. THE Ohio State University starts at 2:30, in which I'll keep the Penn State game on the PIP.

USC, Cal at Tenn, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Nebraska, all have games on tv later on. It'll be a good day to see all the contenders play and I can get a good feel for the talent level.

14. Sep 2, 2006 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If PSU loses to a team named after the zipper; a team that plays its home game in the Rubber Bowl, the players will be too humiliated to even finish the season. :rofl:

This actually could be the upset of the season. Akron is a good team from a minor conference. Easy for PSU to underestimate these guys.

15. Sep 2, 2006 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any clues in my member name?

Yup, one of the best QBs to come out of the MAC in recent years. I found him more impressive than Charlie Frye, and on par with Ben Roethlisberger. He's thrown for roughly 10,000 yds and about 100 TDs in his 3 seasons at Toledo - he's consistent, mobile, has a great arm and is built just right for the NFL. I was pretty disappointed to see him drafted as late as he was.

16. Sep 2, 2006 #15
    Well lucky for us it's pouring in State College today. PSU players love the slop.

17. Sep 2, 2006 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are the Irish going to Fight or what?

18. Sep 2, 2006 #17
    I'm flipping between 4 games here, but Quinn looks a little gunshy. I'll bet they make a better showing in the second half.....or bye-bye heisman.

btw, how 'bout them Buckeyes!

19. Sep 2, 2006 #18
    I just can't watch college football for 1 reason - too many teams. I think they should make a new league of say, 30 or so teams and call it the Elite League (like UK soccer). Teams in this league only play other teams from this league (no more cakewalk games). Every year, the worst 5 teams get demoted to the rest of the league, and the top 5 from the rest of the league get promoted to the Elite league.

20. Sep 2, 2006 #19
    While the rain was pretty bad today in State College, the Nittany Lions put on a great show. The band played Braveheart songs! I mean, c'mon!

21. Sep 3, 2006 #20
    I think the Cal vs Tennessee shows how unimportant pre-season rankings are. :surprised

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?