Official College Football Bragging Rights Thread V2.0

In summary, college football season has finally arrived. So declare your allegiance, talk some trash, and gang up on any USC or Ohio State fans.
Gokul43201 said:
Such a well-developed quality of discrimination is rare outside Buckeyeland. You deserve an honorary degree from this place.

I've tried to treat the Buckeyes like rivals, I've tried to hate them, I've tried to seethe when I hear of their wins...

...but I can't, they're just too cute.

Physics news on Phys.org
SpaceTiger said:
Same here, except for Michigan. I want them to lose every game and suffer as they do.
Gokul43201 said:
Such a well-developed quality of discrimination is rare outside Buckeyeland. You deserve an honorary degree from this place.
I concur Gokul...except I can't bring myself to even say the "M" word. "The team up North" even pains me.

I actually like watching the team up North play. I want them to win every game, only to have their season crushed with a loss to the Buckeyes.:devil: That's pretty much how I feel about all the Big 10 teams. Plus, with the BCS system, your opponents wins/losses has more bearing on who plays for the championship (ie. strenght of schedule). Going undefeated, as the Buckeyes are going to do this year, will make that pretty much a non-factor.

Last edited:
Ugh! Nebraska had a lousy game plan against USC. I have no idea what Callahan was thinking of. Taylor actually looked pretty good when he got a chance to run the west coast offense, but Callahan seemed to be possessed by the ghosts of Tom Osborne and Frank Solich. And how in the world does he leave his corners isloated one on one against USC's receivers - I'd be surprised to find any corner in the nation that could cover Manningham one on one.

Losing in USC isn't exactly a reason for shame, but at least lose playing your best game.

The nice thing about a game like http://sports-att.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=262590087" is that, regardless of who loses, everybody wins.

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
Ugh! Nebraska had a lousy game plan against USC. I have no idea what Callahan was thinking of. Taylor actually looked pretty good when he got a chance to run the west coast offense, but Callahan seemed to be possessed by the ghosts of Tom Osborne and Frank Solich.
I was thinking the same thing. But did anyone really expect them to win? I don't follow Nebraska that closely, but I wonder if Callahan was just trying to not get blown out. I kept thinking, "throw it deep once or twice." At least make them back their safeties up a little. USC was showing no respect for the Husker passing game. They didn't even throw it deep in the fourth quarter. What was Callahan doing?
Losing in USC isn't exactly a reason for shame, but at least lose playing your best game.
Like I said, I don't follow the Huskers that closely. It actually was the best I've seen them play in several years.

RVBuckeye said:
It actually was the best I've seen them play in several years.
We're talking about Nebraska playing a West-coast offense! What's that thing they say about old dogs and new tricks?

SpaceTiger said:
The nice thing about a game like http://sports-att.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=262590087" is that, regardless of who loses, everybody wins.
Notre Dame-- OVER-RATED! clap, clap, clap,clap,clap.

Should make for a great game vs the Buckeyes.

I don't know if it was me (I like to think so), but I was unaware the Buckeyes were on tv until I was flipping channels at the half-time of the Iowa State/Iowa game. I saw the score of 7-6 Cincinnati with a few minutes to go in the first half. I'll admit, I doubted for a brief second.

Without seeing the entire game, I don't really know if the Buckeyes were just going through the motions after that big win at Texas last week or UC was just amped up playing the number 1 team in the Horseshoe. Maybe a little of both. The Bucks made quick work of them in the second half. Good thing I don't gamble.

Next up Penn State. REVENGE!

Gokul43201 said:
We're talking about Nebraska playing a West-coast offense! What's that thing they say about old dogs and new tricks?
Sorry, admittedly the last game I saw was when they had Joe Daley early last season. I hadn't seen a Husker game prior to that since Tom Osborne was still coaching. I was under the impression that Callahan this year finally had guys that he had recruited to fit his west-coast style of play. Why he ran it so much against USC, I don't have a clue.

Also, there was tornado warnings going off here during the game, so it kept getting preemted for weather alerts. I was a little distracted.

RVBuckeye said:
I don't know if it was me (I like to think so), but I was unaware the Buckeyes were on tv until I was flipping channels at the half-time of the Iowa State/Iowa game. I saw the score of 7-6 Cincinnati with a few minutes to go in the first half. I'll admit, I doubted for a brief second.

Without seeing the entire game, I don't really know if the Buckeyes were just going through the motions after that big win at Texas last week or UC was just amped up playing the number 1 team in the Horseshoe. Maybe a little of both. The Bucks made quick work of them in the second half. Good thing I don't gamble.
The first quarter was TERRIBLE. Cincy was happily killing us with the outside run and the option. And our offense was lacking motivation.

Right now I'm still worried about the D - particularly against the outside rush.

Gokul43201 said:
The first quarter was TERRIBLE. Cincy was happily killing us with the outside run and the option. And our offense was lacking motivation.

Right now I'm still worried about the D - particularly against the outside rush.
Yeah, they have to tighten up. It's so un-Buckeye-like. You know, I can't believe Texas didn't figure that out last game. Fortunately, if it gets into an offensive battle, we both know who will come out on top.

BTW, like the new avatar? It's Tressle and team after the texas win.

Last edited:
RVBuckeye said:
BTW, like the new avatar? It's Tressle and team after the texas win.

I hate coach sweater-vest more than anything else in college football.

Bystander said:
http://www.fanblogs.com/oklahoma/006598.php

Figgered we'd see more about this game.

I can't believe how big a baby OU is being about this. Do they really think they're the first team to ever get screwed by a bad call?

LeBrad said:
I can't believe how big a baby OU is being about this. Do they really think they're the first team to ever get screwed by a bad call?

In the days of "make the call, spot the ball, wind the clock," no --- in the "review anything even a little close" era, yeah. Dunno whether you watched that game --- you could almost see the stripes on cellphones to Vegas --- these weren't "bad calls," these were crooked calls.

Here's a nice quote from Joe Paterno on Penn State's chances against the Buckeyes saturday...
"What do you do?" Paterno said. "You go in there and pray. You got a good prayer to St. Jude for hopeless causes or something?"
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9676475

Now that's a realistic game plan.:wink:

LeBrad said:
I hate coach sweater-vest more than anything else in college football.
Agreed. I'm sure he wasn't hired for his fashion sense.

RVBuckeye said:
Here's a nice quote from Joe Paterno on Penn State's chances against the Buckeyes saturday...

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9676475

Now that's a realistic game plan.:wink:

I'll have you know that JoePa fears no creature on this earth. Especially not one with a hamburger for a head.

LeBrad said:
I'll have you know that JoePa fears no creature on this earth. Especially not one with a hamburger for a head.
Some Penn State fans came to Columbus early for the game this weekend and commented that it sure was windy in Ohio. We had to explain that it's really not very windy at all in Ohio it's just that Penn State sucks so badly.
Ok...that was a Mich. joke, but I don't really loathe Penn State that much.

Calvin Johnson is a freakin horse.

3-0 WOOOOOOOOOO! Now if we can just run down the clock for two quarters...

LeBrad said:
3-0 WOOOOOOOOOO! Now if we can just run down the clock for two quarters...

Yeah, it's pretty ugly out there. I had to don my national championship sweatshirt to swing the momentum.

interception PSU. <takes sweatshirt back off>

A good battle for 3 quarters, but a crummy ending. At least now we may get to see a nice OSU-MICH game at the end of the season.

LeBrad said:
A good battle for 3 quarters, but a crummy ending.
It's always tough in the Big 10, especially vs Penn State. You guys made it a game. Young quarterback kinda came unglued there at the end. Still, good game. That touchdown pass by Troy Smith was amazing!
At least now we may get to see a nice OSU-MICH game at the end of the season
MICH?? I hope OSU remembers they have to play IOWA next week.

Did you happen to catch any of the Alabama-Arkansas game? God must really have it in for that Alabama kicker.:uhh:

I can't believe Colorado just gave up that game to Georgia either.

Last edited:
What an ugly game. I'm not sure how much of a role the rain played...but that's what I'm going to blame it on.

Good thing I was wearing my National Championship sweatshirt!

For the first time this season, the D really impressed me (I know we gave up over a hundred yards rushing...so it's probably just my intoxication level).

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
What an ugly game. I'm not sure how much of a role the rain played...but that's what I'm going to blame it on.

Good thing I was wearing my National Championship sweatshirt!

For the first time this season, the D really impressed me (I know we gave up over a hundred yards rushing...so it's probably just my intoxication level).

Good thing you were wearing your sweatshirt! I won't be too dissappointed if they lose though. That means I can finally change my lucky UNDERWEAR <kidding>

The defense is playing pretty darn good, if you think about it. Having only given up 12, 7, 10, and 6 points in there first 4 games. Notably, 7 and 6 to Texas and Penn State respectively. What more can you ask for?

What a game last night between Michigan State and Notre Dame! Game of the season so far, if you ask me. What a choke. Funny about Brady Quinn. He looked sooo bad. How the heck did he wind up with 5 touchdown passes? :confused:

Thank you USC for keeping things [relatively] simple. So, Buckeye fans, who do you want to play in the Championship game, UF or UM?

I think Florida deserves to go.

w00t! Yeah Bruins!

I'm biting my nails here watching the RU vs WVU game! At least the team I'm cheering for is winning (i.e., it's tied :rofl:). Go both teams! :rofl: (Okay, I'm really pulling for RU...old loyalties die hard, and with a BCS bid on the line, I so want to see them pull this off.)

Moonbear said:
I'm biting my nails here watching the RU vs WVU game! At least the team I'm cheering for is winning (i.e., it's tied :rofl:). Go both teams! :rofl: (Okay, I'm really pulling for RU...old loyalties die hard, and with a BCS bid on the line, I so want to see them pull this off.)

Moonie, I am glad you at least get to watch that game. I was in the lab all day and missed the whole UCLA-USC game. :cry:

Math Is Hard said:
Moonie, I am glad you at least get to watch that game. I was in the lab all day and missed the whole UCLA-USC game. :cry:

Yeah, but it's torturing me! This is the first game I've ever watched in its entirety. They're heading into their second overtime! :bugeye: I did keep saying I wanted them both to win, but this is like that twisted wishes thread now! At least for a last game of the season with a BCS bid on the line, it's a great game...if RU wins this, they really deserve it.

So close! :cry: RU lost. :cry:

But, that means the Mountaineers won! :biggrin:

It's really tough when you want to cheer for both teams! :rolleyes:

LeBrad said:
Thank you USC for keeping things [relatively] simple. So, Buckeye fans, who do you want to play in the Championship game, UF or UM?

I think Florida deserves to go.

As an Ohio native who lived across the street from Michigan Stadium for six years while in grad school, I'd love to see a rematch. (Go Blue! :devil:) On the other hand, seeing Michigan play in the Rose Bowl again would be nice... almost like the good old days! And then I could cheer for both teams in good conscience. :biggrin:

I hope Michigan gets a rematch vs. ohio state. They were able to put up 39 points against the buckeyes in their own stadium. Fla. va. OSU would be terrible, florida would get blown out by at least 21 points. At least the wolverines stand a chance. No matter who plays OSU will win though.