1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions Ok to apply for two phds from the same university?

1. Feb 4, 2017 #1
    < Mentor Note -- OP deleted this original post, which has been restored by the Moderators. Thread will remain closed. >

same professor.

different topics from what i can make out - one more linked to partial differential equations, analysis, one using lagrangian/ hamiltonian dynamics and differential geometry?

does it look bad if you apply for both?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2017 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is extremely puzzling.

1. Where in the world are you applying to?

2. Do you really apply for a PhD program directly to a specific professor? Has this professor already indicated that he/she will work with you?

3. Why do you need to specify the research project in such a detail that you have two explicit projects already in place? Are they really THAT different that they are in DIFFERENT departments that you had to make two separate applications?

I've seen many puzzling situations on this forum before, but this one might take the cake.

Zz.

4. Feb 4, 2017 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You really didn't answer my question, and giving me this webpage simply ADDS to the confusion. What does this have anything to do with you applying for a PhD?

Aren't you applying for ADMISSION to a PhD program? This means that you are applying for an admission to a school! You don't choose the PhD research topic BEFORE you apply for an admission. You may be asked for what area that you might want to go into in some applications, but these are general areas and are never an indication that this is what you will go into.

Since you are being evasive here, let me ask you one very simple question: Are you CURRENTLY enrolled in a PhD program at a university? If you are, then shouldn't you already be assigned an advisor who you should talk to to determine your research project? If NOT, then aren't you putting the cart before the horse?

Zz.

5. Feb 4, 2017 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Zz, he's vandalized his own thread so much that it's impossible to help him any more.

6. Feb 4, 2017 #5
    i dont find 'but this one takes the cake' helpful...

cheers.

7. Feb 4, 2017 #6

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Locked for moderation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook