Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oldest man in the US dies in Sacramento at 112

1. Dec 29, 2008 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081229/ap_on_re_us/obit_oldest_american_man
    RIP George Francis.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

So the Army wouldn't have him in WWI? Not surprising, really considering that one of the hottest aces in the Lafayette Escadrille was grounded and forced into non-combatant status in the infantry when the US officially joined the war on behalf of the French. US officials insisted that he be grounded because of his race. He later spied for the French Resistance during WWII. When the Nazis were getting wise to him, he was spirited out of France to the US, and the only steady job he could get was as an elevator operator. His name was Eugene Jacques Bullard and the other pilots called him the "Black Swallow of Death" for his accuracy and kills. The first black America fighter pilot.

Googling him brings up many interesting stories.
    http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/apjinternational/apj-s/2005/3tri05/chivaletteeng.html

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  4. Dec 29, 2008 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Now I feel like a young-un! RIP.

5. Dec 29, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's impossible for the oldest living person to die, because the second they die, they are no longer the oldest living person.

6. Dec 29, 2008 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Try telling him that!

7. Dec 29, 2008 #6
    It must be hard living that long because you get to see your children die from old age, and even your grand children.

8. Dec 29, 2008 #7
    Except in this case, all his kids are still kicking! Still: I can't imagine living 40 years longer than my spouse did. At least (due to the longer average lifespan of women) I'm sure he wouldn't be lacking for company if he'd cared for it. My grandpa was positively attacked by the widows in his community after my grandma died! (Although I think it just made him miss her more... he had just enough time to appreciate her absence before his own passing.)

9. Dec 29, 2008 #8
    If I can live to 100, I'll have it made. People rarely die after that age.

10. Dec 29, 2008 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Such a grasp logic and statistics! I am in awe!

11. Dec 29, 2008 #10

turbo

Gold Member

I should ask my wife to buy a lottery ticket. We haven't bought any in a while to build up our chances of hitting the Big One. I figure it's about 50:50 (you either win or you don't) so we're due.

12. Dec 29, 2008 #11
    When I was six and living in WA my mom was working as a nurse at a retirement home and one of her patients who she, and by extension I, became attached to was this funny old 106 year old lady who would tell stories about driving around in her pink Thunderbird at age 99...or else she used to drive 99 mph in her pink t-bird, my memory is fuzzy. She also always had a cup of lemon drops that she'd insist I had some of. She was a kick, but died later that year.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?