• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

On a CV, where do you put applications for external funding?

• Thread starter Dishsoap
  • Start date
When applying to graduate school, I consider it significant that I'm applying for external fellowships (since, in theory, it means the grad school may not have to fund me). Presently on my CV, I have a section for "national awards", and there I list

Blah blah blah award 1
blah blah blah award 2
blah blah blah fellowship (2016) (pending)

Would this be correct? Would "applied for" be a better term?
I won't hear back about the fellowship until shortly after I hear about grad school acceptances, so there's no opportunity to change it once I hear back.

Thoughts?

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
(Pending) implies a certainty - i.e. you have been told, but the formal announcement has not been made. (Applied for) is not something that belongs on a CV. And, frankly, while you may consider it significant, the committee probably won't. At that stage of their careers, they've all applied for things they didn't get.

(Pending) implies a certainty - i.e. you have been told, but the formal announcement has not been made. (Applied for) is not something that belongs on a CV. And, frankly, while you may consider it significant, the committee probably won't. At that stage of their careers, they've all applied for things they didn't get.
I agree about "pending". My professors told me to put it on there (since it may boost my application slightly, having applied for external funding) but I'm not sure.

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
When applying to graduate school, I consider it significant that I'm applying for external fellowships (since, in theory, it means the grad school may not have to fund me). Presently on my CV, I have a section for "national awards", and there I list

Would this be correct? Would "applied for" be a better term?
I won't hear back about the fellowship until shortly after I hear about grad school acceptances, so there's no opportunity to change it once I hear back.

Thoughts?
Nobody cares about the applications; they only care about the successes- same for papers, people only care about papers accepted for publication. 'Pending' is marginally important.

mathwonk

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I would say "applied for" is the more accurate term. It may not help but I presume it won't hurt to mention it, especially if you think you have a reasonable chance of getting it. It is similar to listing a publication as "submitted".

Also true. It does only take up one line, so I'm sure it can't hurt. I will have it listed as "blah blah blah Fellowship (application submitted)". Maybe unprofessional, but it can't hurt.