On a CV, where do you put applications for external funding?

In summary: Nobody cares about the applications; they only care about the successes- same for papers, people only care about papers accepted for publication. 'Pending' is marginally important.I would say "applied for" is the more accurate term. It may not help but I presume it won't hurt to mention it, especially if you think you have a reasonable chance of getting it. It is similar to listing a publication as "submitted".Also true. It does only take up one line, so I'm sure it can't hurt. I will have it listed as "application submitted". Maybe unprofessional, but it can't hurt.
Dishsoap
When applying to graduate school, I consider it significant that I'm applying for external fellowships (since, in theory, it means the grad school may not have to fund me). Presently on my CV, I have a section for "national awards", and there I list

Blah blah blah award 1
blah blah blah award 2
blah blah blah fellowship (2016) (pending)Would this be correct? Would "applied for" be a better term?
I won't hear back about the fellowship until shortly after I hear about grad school acceptances, so there's no opportunity to change it once I hear back.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
(Pending) implies a certainty - i.e. you have been told, but the formal announcement has not been made. (Applied for) is not something that belongs on a CV. And, frankly, while you may consider it significant, the committee probably won't. At that stage of their careers, they've all applied for things they didn't get.

Vanadium 50 said:
(Pending) implies a certainty - i.e. you have been told, but the formal announcement has not been made. (Applied for) is not something that belongs on a CV. And, frankly, while you may consider it significant, the committee probably won't. At that stage of their careers, they've all applied for things they didn't get.

I agree about "pending". My professors told me to put it on there (since it may boost my application slightly, having applied for external funding) but I'm not sure.

Dishsoap said:
When applying to graduate school, I consider it significant that I'm applying for external fellowships (since, in theory, it means the grad school may not have to fund me). Presently on my CV, I have a section for "national awards", and there I list

Would this be correct? Would "applied for" be a better term?
I won't hear back about the fellowship until shortly after I hear about grad school acceptances, so there's no opportunity to change it once I hear back.

Thoughts?

Nobody cares about the applications; they only care about the successes- same for papers, people only care about papers accepted for publication. 'Pending' is marginally important.

I would say "applied for" is the more accurate term. It may not help but I presume it won't hurt to mention it, especially if you think you have a reasonable chance of getting it. It is similar to listing a publication as "submitted".

Also true. It does only take up one line, so I'm sure it can't hurt. I will have it listed as "blah blah blah Fellowship (application submitted)". Maybe unprofessional, but it can't hurt.

1. Where should I list my applications for external funding on my CV?

Applications for external funding should be listed under a separate section on your CV, typically titled "Grants and Awards" or "Fellowships and Funding". This section should be placed after your education and research experience, but before any publications or presentations.

2. Do I need to include all of my external funding applications on my CV?

It is not necessary to include every single external funding application on your CV. Only list those that have been successful or have reached a later stage in the application process, such as receiving an invitation for a full proposal or reaching the final round of review.

3. How much detail should I provide about my external funding applications on my CV?

When listing external funding applications on your CV, provide enough detail to give the reader a clear understanding of the funding source, the amount requested, and the project or research topic. It is not necessary to include every detail of the application process, but enough to demonstrate your experience and success in securing external funding.

4. Can I include pending external funding applications on my CV?

It is generally acceptable to include pending external funding applications on your CV, as long as they are clearly labeled as such. This can show potential employers or colleagues that you are actively seeking external funding and have a strong track record in securing grants.

5. Should I include rejected external funding applications on my CV?

In most cases, it is not necessary to include rejected external funding applications on your CV. However, if a rejected application was particularly competitive or prestigious, you may choose to mention it briefly in your grant and awards section to demonstrate your experience in applying for external funding.