Resume or CV for Graduate School Applications

In summary, the speaker is facing a dilemma with their graduate school applications. They are unsure whether to submit a CV or a resume, as their experiences, education, presentations, and awards are too short for a CV but too long for a resume. They are seeking advice on whether to include everything in a 1.5 page CV or to cut some things out and stick to a standard 1 page resume. The speaker is currently a senior at a US undergraduate institution with a 6-month internship in the private sector and 2 years of work experience in a lab with a faculty member. They are open to any helpful advice.
drymouthdrew
I have a bit of a dilemma with graduate school applications that I feel many people here would have encountered. Part of the applications requires either a CV or a resume, and I find that the list of my expierences, educations, presentations and awards is a little to short to be considered a CV, and a little too long for a resume. My question is should I write everything out in the format of a CV and have it be about 1.5 pages, or should I cut some things out and have the standrard 1 page resume.

For some quick background, I am graduating this coming spring from my undergraduate institution in the US and have had 1 six month internship in the private sector, and I have worked in a lab with one of the faculty members here for about 2 years.

Any advice would be helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank You!

What is the purpose of a resume or CV for graduate school applications?

A resume or CV (curriculum vitae) is a document that provides a summary of your education, work experience, skills, and achievements. Its purpose is to showcase your qualifications and convince the admissions committee that you are a strong candidate for their graduate program.

What should be included in a resume or CV for graduate school applications?

A resume or CV for graduate school applications should include your personal information, education background, relevant work experience, research experience, academic achievements, skills, and any other relevant information that demonstrates your qualifications for the program.

Is there a specific format or structure that should be followed for a resume or CV for graduate school applications?

There is no set format for a resume or CV for graduate school applications, but it should be well-organized, easy to read, and tailored to the specific program you are applying to. It is recommended to use a professional and clean format, and to include relevant headings and bullet points to highlight your qualifications.

How long should a resume or CV for graduate school applications be?

The length of a resume or CV for graduate school applications can vary depending on your qualifications and experiences, but it is generally recommended to keep it to one or two pages. It is important to include all relevant information, but also to be concise and avoid unnecessary details.

Is it necessary to include references in a resume or CV for graduate school applications?

It is not necessary to include references in a resume or CV for graduate school applications. However, some programs may ask for references as part of the application process, so it is important to have a list of references prepared in case they are needed. This list can be provided separately upon request.