On a lifelong search for the best writing utensils

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlexChandler
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Search Writing
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 11K views
turbo-1 said:
Congrats on the nice pens. They are a personal favorite. Do you have a neighborhood art/stationary store? If so, they may have paper samples out for you to try before buying. The smaller-diameter nibs will benefit from some heavily calendered paper (paper that has been smoothed by running it through a stack of heavy polished rolls). Lots of art papers are intentionally coarsely-finished in order to provide some "bite" to graphite, pastels, paints, etc. They don't work so well with fine-tipped pens like Rapidographs.

Aha. I have tried a few kinds of smooth paper. I bought some Strathmore Bristol Smooth, but the ink always seems to smear when I write on it. Do you know of a specific kind that I might be able to order? I went to a couple of art stores, and nobody had heard of calendered paper.
Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
AlexChandler said:
Aha. I have tried a few kinds of smooth paper. I bought some Strathmore Bristol Smooth, but the ink always seems to smear when I write on it. Do you know of a specific kind that I might be able to order? I went to a couple of art stores, and nobody had heard of calendered paper.
Thanks!
Most paper is calendered, but that's part of the production process, and only the quality-control people and buyers would know about the degree to which the paper was calendered to achieve the desired smoothness. Salespeople in stationary stores would only know it some paper was smoother or coarser than other types. You might try asking for drafting paper and see what they come up with.