On-axis field degradation of solenoid

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Orlando
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have to calculate the induced current in a coil a known distance from a solenoid (the secondary coil is on the axis of the solenoid). As the magnetic flux from the solenoid weakens with distance, I have applied biort-savart law to determine the stength of the magnetic field at a point from the solenoid. My question is, when I am calculating the induced current in the second coil, do I do so by considering the magnetic field stength at the center of the second coil, or do I find an average field strength by considering the field strength at all the points along the axis of the coil?

Homework Equations


Equation for thin shell solenoid field degradation: http://www.netdenizen.com/emagnet/solenoids/thinsolenoid.htm


The Attempt at a Solution


I think that it's more appropriate to consider the average field strength throughout the second coil, but I am not sure. Can anyone help me please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
wouldn't you just integrate the B field over the area. And how is the field changing with time .