On-axis field degradation of solenoid

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the induced current in a coil a known distance from a solenoid. The person is considering using the biort-savart law to determine the magnetic field strength at a point from the solenoid. They are unsure if they should use the field strength at the center of the second coil or find an average field strength along the coil's axis. The conversation also mentions the equation for thin shell solenoid field degradation and integrating the B field over the area. They also question how the field changes with time.
Orlando

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the induced current in a coil a known distance from a solenoid (the secondary coil is on the axis of the solenoid). As the magnetic flux from the solenoid weakens with distance, I have applied biort-savart law to determine the stength of the magnetic field at a point from the solenoid. My question is, when I am calculating the induced current in the second coil, do I do so by considering the magnetic field stength at the center of the second coil, or do I find an average field strength by considering the field strength at all the points along the axis of the coil?

Homework Equations

Equation for thin shell solenoid field degradation: http://www.netdenizen.com/emagnet/solenoids/thinsolenoid.htm

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that it's more appropriate to consider the average field strength throughout the second coil, but I am not sure. Can anyone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
wouldn't you just integrate the B field over the area. And how is the field changing with time .

1. What is on-axis field degradation of solenoid?

On-axis field degradation of solenoid refers to the decrease in the strength of the magnetic field along the central axis of a solenoid over time. This can be caused by factors such as thermal effects, mechanical stress, and external magnetic fields.

2. How does on-axis field degradation affect the performance of solenoids?

As the magnetic field strength decreases, the performance of solenoids can be affected in various ways. For example, the force exerted by the solenoid may decrease, or the coil resistance may increase, leading to reduced efficiency.

3. What are the main causes of on-axis field degradation in solenoids?

The main causes of on-axis field degradation in solenoids include temperature changes, mechanical stress, and the presence of external magnetic fields. These factors can affect the alignment and stability of the solenoid's windings, leading to a decrease in the magnetic field strength.

4. How can on-axis field degradation be prevented or minimized?

To prevent or minimize on-axis field degradation, solenoids can be designed with materials that have high thermal and mechanical stability. Additionally, proper cooling and shielding techniques can be utilized to reduce the impact of external factors.

5. How can on-axis field degradation be measured or monitored?

There are various techniques for measuring or monitoring on-axis field degradation in solenoids, such as using Hall effect sensors or fluxgate magnetometers. These devices can provide real-time data on the strength of the magnetic field and any changes over time.