Magnetic field at a point along the solenoid's axis but outside the solenoid

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the EMF induced by a solenoid and the vector magnetic field inductance at a point outside the solenoid's length but on its axis. The solution is to google the magnetic field on the axis of a current loop at a distance from the loop and integrate over the solenoid's length. The conversation also mentions a helpful link for further information.
turo_loler
TL;DR Summary
For a personal project, I need to calculate the EMF induced by a solenoid, the problem is, that the secondary circuiit where the eddy currents are formed are outside the solenoid's length but on it's axis.
For a personal project, I need to calculate the EMF induced by a solenoid, the problem is, that the secondary circuit where the eddy currents are formed are outside the solenoid's length but still on it's axis.
The problem comes when i need to calculate the vector magnetic field inductance at a point outside the solenoid, i've been searching for quite a while but I have not managed to find an awnser, I just find keep finding that the net magnetic field vector due to ampere's law is near zero, but outsithe the radious of the solenoid, not ousithe the length of the solenoid
A graphical representation of my problem:

1686347589344.png

Physics news on Phys.org
In Gaussian units, B is
$$B=\frac{2\pi nI}{c}\left[\frac{L/2-z}{\sqrt{(z-L/2)^2+a^2},
+\frac{(z+L/2)}{\sqrt{(z+L/2)^2+a^2}}\right]$$,
where ##n## is the number of turns per cm, ##I## is the current, ##a## is the radius, and ##z## is the distance along the axis from the center.
Why isn't latex working?

turo_loler said:
TL;DR Summary: For a personal project, I need to calculate the EMF induced by a solenoid, the problem is, that the secondary circuiit where the eddy currents are formed are outside the solenoid's length but on it's axis.

The problem comes when i need to calculate the vector magnetic field inductance at a point outside the solenoid
Google the magnetic field in axis of a current loop a distance ##z## from the loop (the off-axis field is moderately nasty but the on axis field is a simple expression). Then work out how many turns per unit length you have and integrate over the length of the solenoid.
Meir Achuz said:
Why isn't latex working?
You have unbalanced {} in the denominator of the first fraction inside the square brackets.

Likes Meir Achuz and turo_loler
Meir Achuz said:
In Gaussian units, B is
$$B=\frac{2\pi nI}{c}\left[\frac{L/2-z}{\sqrt{(z-L/2)^2+a^2}}
+\frac{(z+L/2)}{\sqrt{(z+L/2)^2+a^2}}\right]$$,
where ##n## is the number of turns per cm, ##I## is the current, ##a## is the radius, and ##z## is the distance along the axis from the center.
Why isn't latex working?
It was a missing bracket in the first frac.

Likes Meir Achuz and turo_loler
Ibix said:
Google the magnetic field in axis of a current loop a distance ##z## from the loop (the off-axis field is moderately nasty but the on axis field is a simple expression). Then work out how many turns per unit length you have and integrate over the length of the solenoid.

You have unbalanced {} in the denominator of the first fraction inside the square brackets.
Perfect, just what i needed, thnks!

Likes Ibix

1. What is the direction of the magnetic field at a point along the solenoid's axis but outside the solenoid?

The direction of the magnetic field at a point along the solenoid's axis but outside the solenoid is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow inside the solenoid, the direction of your fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field outside the solenoid.

2. How does the distance from the solenoid affect the strength of the magnetic field at a point along its axis?

The strength of the magnetic field at a point along the solenoid's axis decreases as the distance from the solenoid increases. This is because the magnetic field lines spread out as they move away from the solenoid, resulting in a weaker field.

3. Can the magnetic field at a point along the solenoid's axis but outside the solenoid be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the magnetic field at a point along the solenoid's axis but outside the solenoid to be zero. This occurs when the point is located at the midpoint between two solenoids with opposite currents, canceling out the magnetic field.

4. How does the current through the solenoid affect the magnetic field at a point along its axis?

The magnetic field at a point along the solenoid's axis is directly proportional to the current flowing through the solenoid. This means that increasing the current will result in a stronger magnetic field, while decreasing the current will result in a weaker magnetic field.

5. Is the magnetic field at a point along the solenoid's axis but outside the solenoid uniform?

No, the magnetic field at a point along the solenoid's axis but outside the solenoid is not uniform. The field is strongest at the center of the solenoid and decreases as you move away from the center. This is due to the shape and arrangement of the magnetic field lines around the solenoid.