On deriving the standard form of the Klein-Gordon propagator

In summary, the derivation of the Klein-Gordon propagator in Peskin and Schroeder using contour integration involves choosing a contour where the extra half-semicircle will go to 0 for large imaginary p0. The upper half plane corresponds to +ip0, while the lower half plane corresponds to -ip0. For x0>y0, -ip0 will converge to 0 along the semicircle at infinity, while ip0 blows up along the semicircle at infinity. The argument works exactly in reverse for x0<y0.
Nauj Onerom
I'm trying to make sense of the derivation of the Klein-Gordon propagator in Peskin and Schroeder using contour integration. It seems the main step in the argument is that ## e^{-i p^0(x^0-y^0)} ## tends to zero (in the ##r\rightarrow\infty## limit) along a semicircular contour below (resp. above) the real line for ##x^0 > y^0## (resp. ## x^0< y^0 ##). It is this that I'm having trouble making sense of. If we consider $$ \int_{C_{below}} \frac{dp^0}{2\pi}\frac{e^{ip(x--y)}}{i(p^2-m^2)} = \int_{0}^\pi \frac{d\theta}{2\pi}(-ire^{i\theta})\frac{e^{-i[re^{i\theta}(x^0-y^0) - \vec{p}\cdot(\vec{x}-\vec{y})]}}{i((re^{i\theta})^2 - \vec{p}^2 - m^2)},$$ the integrand seems to tend to zero as ## r\rightarrow\infty ## regardless of whether ##x^0 > y^0## or ##y^0 > x^0## since the exponential is bounded. So I guess my question is what stops us from choosing this same contour for the ##y^0 > x^0## case, which would give a nonzero result?

Physics news on Phys.org
To use contour integration you need to pick a contour where the extra half-semicircle will go to 0 for large imaginary p0 (due to the exponential). The upper half plane corresponds to +ip0, while the lower half plane corresponds to -ip0. For x0>y0, -ip0 will converge to 0 along the semicircle at infinity (this is the lower half plane), while ip0 blows up along the semicircle at infinity (this is the upper half plane. The argument works exactly in reverse for x0<y0.

1. What is the Klein-Gordon propagator?

The Klein-Gordon propagator is a mathematical equation used to describe the behavior of a quantum field, specifically a scalar field. It is derived from the Klein-Gordon equation, which is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of particles with zero spin.

2. How is the standard form of the Klein-Gordon propagator derived?

The standard form of the Klein-Gordon propagator is derived by solving the Klein-Gordon equation for the field operator, and then expressing it in terms of creation and annihilation operators. This leads to a Green's function, which can be written in terms of momentum and mass, resulting in the standard form of the propagator.

3. What is the significance of the standard form of the Klein-Gordon propagator?

The standard form of the Klein-Gordon propagator is significant because it allows for the calculation of transition amplitudes and probabilities for particles in quantum field theory. It also allows for the calculation of scattering amplitudes and cross sections, which are important in particle physics experiments.

4. How is the Klein-Gordon propagator used in physics research?

The Klein-Gordon propagator is used in various areas of physics research, such as quantum field theory, particle physics, and cosmology. It is used to calculate scattering amplitudes, cross sections, and other important quantities in these fields, providing a theoretical framework for understanding the behavior of particles and fields.

5. Are there any limitations to the Klein-Gordon propagator?

Like any mathematical model, the Klein-Gordon propagator has its limitations. It does not take into account the effects of gravity, and it is not applicable to particles with spin. Additionally, it is a non-renormalizable theory, meaning it cannot be used to calculate physical quantities to arbitrary precision without introducing inaccuracies. However, it still provides a useful framework for understanding the behavior of scalar fields in quantum field theory.