1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On number of negative eigenvalues of a matrix

1. Aug 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When trying to solve a question about parameter independence of certain aspects of the Jacobian of a real valued function on a manifold I came to the point where I have to show the following:

Let A be a matrix, J be the Jacobian of an orthogonal transformation (I suppose we can assume non-reflection) then define B to be B= JTAJ, where A and B are real symmetric. I have to show that both B and A have same number of negative eigenvalues.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This problem I think translates into following:

Both A and B are real symmetric so suppose their diagonal forms are respectively D1 and D2 (ie matrices which have eigenvalues for the diagonal entries). Then there is a unitary transformation U such that D2 = UTD1U (an be shown by direct calculation). I have to now show that the number of negative diagonal entries on each D is the same. It seems logical at first because U is an orthogonal matrix but direct calculation does not yield the answer. Moreover when I try to put it into a geometric setting (i.e rotation of vectors) it seems wrong. Am I doing something wrong? edit: I think this might be a wrong approach though because I haven't used the fact that there is a Jacobian as a part of U

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

if you could show [tex] J^T = J^{-1} [/tex] it would follow pretty quickly

4. Aug 12, 2010 #3
    I dont think it is the case, it is just the Jacobian of any orthogonal coordinate transformation (not the transformation itsself)

5. Aug 12, 2010 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

for a 2D rotation
    [tex]u = x cos(\theta)+ y sin(\theta)[/tex]
    [tex]v = x sin(\theta)- y cos(\theta)[/tex]

the jacobian is
    [tex]J(x,y) = \begin{pmatrix}
    \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial u}{\partial y }\\
    \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}
    \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

which is looking very similar to the transformation itself...maybe within a T... if you agree, could you generalise that?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook