Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On the application of the goodman equation to a multiaxial stress state

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    I don't quite understand how the modified goodman equation can be applied to a multiaxial stress state. The explanation given in my stress analysis class has been quite confusing and verbose so I've come here to see if I can't get a better understanding.

First I'll lay out what I think to be true:

Utilizing the Von-Mises failure criterion in place of the uni-axial stresses in the goodman equation should be able to account for a multiaxial stress state AND fatigue. Here's how I think it should work

Uni-axial stress amplitude is replaced with von-mises stress amplitude (same equation, different stresses)

The fatigue limit at whatever number of cycles the designer is concerned with is replaced with the Von-Mises stress at that stress amplitude. Or: (Uni-Axial Fatigue limit at X cycles)*(1/3)=fully reversed stress amplitude (or SIGMAar in the good man equation).

Mean stress is replaced with mean von-mises stress (same equation, different stresses)

Ultimate stress is replaced with (sqrt(2)/3)*SIGMA(u) or the von mises stress at failure.

Equations:
    [​IMG]
    That last equation should be sqrt(2)/3. Made a mistake when writing the equations. Thanks.
    Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2009 #2
    Actually you got the equations for stress amplitude (tau_a) and mean stress (tau_m) swapped, here.

4. Apr 4, 2009 #3

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Whitebread wrote: "Utilizing the von Mises failure criterion in place of the uniaxial stresses in the [modified] Goodman equation should be able to account for a multiaxial stress state and fatigue. Here's how I think it should work. Uniaxial stress amplitude is replaced with von Mises stress amplitude."

Agreed.

Whitebread wrote: "The fatigue limit at whatever number of cycles the designer is concerned with is replaced with the von Mises stress at that stress amplitude. Or, (uniaxial fatigue limit at N cycles)*(1/3) = fully reversed stress amplitude (or sigma_ar in the [modified] Goodman equation)."

Disagree. Fatigue strength is a material property, not a von Mises stress. The fatigue strength should not be adjusted.

Whitebread wrote: "Mean stress is replaced with mean von Mises stress."

Agreed.

Whitebread wrote: "Ultimate stress is replaced with (sqrt(2)/3)*sigma_u, or the von Mises stress at failure."

Disagree. Tensile ultimate (mean) strength, Stu, is a material property, not a von Mises stress, and should not be adjusted.

A similar question is posted at thread 304749.

5. Jun 10, 2009 #4
    Well its been a while. Since I posted and the project I posted it for was long since been turned in. Thanks for the input and the link though. Its quite helpful since this information just doesn't seem to be recorded anywhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?