1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding maximum allowable alternating stress using goodmans relation

1. Feb 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(b) A steel alloy has an ultimate tensile strength of 820MN/m2 and a fatigue endurance limit of 390MN/m2. The steel is used in a fatigue application in which the alternating stress is 0.3 times the mean stress. Using the Goodman method with a factor of safety of 1.5 applied determine the maximum allowable alternating stress that will allow safe operation

2. Relevant equations
    σa = σfat x (σm/σts)
    Where σa is the alternating stress, σm is the mean stress, σfat is the fatigue endurance limit and σts is the ultimate tensile stress.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far I have substituted σa for 0.3 x σm and tried to rearrange this formula, I have however run into problems and am doubting this is the correct method.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2013 #2
    Re: Finding maximum allowable alternating stress using goodmans relati

Any ideas? The entire assignment is due in on monday and this is all i'm having problems with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook