Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On the new rule on personal communications with third parties

1. Jun 13, 2013 #1

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While I see the basis for adding a rule against this (especially posting complete e-mails), it results in some lost opportunities for useful discussion. Suppose someone has a conversation with their professor and comes away confused. They would like to get help here. Normally, when someone asks : "I read/heard xyx and I am confused" we ask for reference so we can see the context. In this case, the rule prohibits them from providing context for their question. Can any administrator suggest how to proceed in such a case?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I was going to write a long answer, but it basically boils down to this. You either trust us to use good judgment, or you don't.

We could try and craft rules to completely specify allowed and prohibited behavior. Such an activity would take away a huge amount of time from actually running PF, and is doomed to fail anyway.

4. Jun 29, 2013 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I view posting EM's or private messages that are not in the public domain, and without permission, unethical.

5. Jun 29, 2013 #4

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agreed, but the rule covers even the situation where you have permission. Then, it isn't a matter of ethics but of verifiability (among other issues).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook