On the new rule on personal communications with third parties

  • Thread starter Thread starter PAllen
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2025 Award
Messages
9,573
Reaction score
2,692
While I see the basis for adding a rule against this (especially posting complete e-mails), it results in some lost opportunities for useful discussion. Suppose someone has a conversation with their professor and comes away confused. They would like to get help here. Normally, when someone asks : "I read/heard xyx and I am confused" we ask for reference so we can see the context. In this case, the rule prohibits them from providing context for their question. Can any administrator suggest how to proceed in such a case?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I was going to write a long answer, but it basically boils down to this. You either trust us to use good judgment, or you don't.

We could try and craft rules to completely specify allowed and prohibited behavior. Such an activity would take away a huge amount of time from actually running PF, and is doomed to fail anyway.
 
I view posting EM's or private messages that are not in the public domain, and without permission, unethical.
 
Chronos said:
I view posting EM's or private messages that are not in the public domain, and without permission, unethical.

Agreed, but the rule covers even the situation where you have permission. Then, it isn't a matter of ethics but of verifiability (among other issues).