On the topic of neutrinos' masses

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Mikaelochi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Neutrinos Topic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Mikaelochi
Messages
40
Reaction score
1
Although I do not have the technical qualifications to understand to mathematics of quantum field theory, I happened to come across a preview of a book called The Electron by Dennis Morris on Amazon. While reading the preview I came across this sentence: "The solution of the neutrino mass problem is that neutrinos are massless but the squared neutrino field is massive ---- quaternions can be like this." Neutrinos as I understand them actually have mass, so is this statement accurate? Also, if the answer can only be expressed clearly, mathematically, then feel free to do so. Lastly, I hope this is the appropriate place to submit this. Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mikaelochi said:
Neutrinos as I understand them actually have mass, so is this statement accurate?
No, it is not.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mikaelochi
And to extend that answer: the statement does not make sense at all.

"Apples do not have mass but the squared apple flavor has one hour - like cars"
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mikaelochi, ShayanJ and vanhees71
This is exactly what I expected. I figured it was nonsense but I had to make sure. Thanks!
 
One more thing: do any of you know who Dennis Morris is? I can't seem to find out who this person is. Not sure about you, but this kind of fishy.
 
Never heard of him, based on some Amazon book descriptions he looks like a crackpot.
The descriptions of the books are often nonsense, the books are all self-published and they are not sold in any relevant number. And then there is this great customer review:
I have been studying Lie groups for many (35 ) years. I expected some useful ideas form the book .Unfortunately it is mostly nonsense with
some pretentious observations , strange notation and total confusion between mathematics physics and his persona ideas. I cannot recommend
the book at all