Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B On the topic of neutrinos' masses

1. Oct 8, 2016 #1
    Although I do not have the technical qualifications to understand to mathematics of quantum field theory, I happened to come across a preview of a book called The Electron by Dennis Morris on Amazon. While reading the preview I came across this sentence: "The solution of the neutrino mass problem is that neutrinos are massless but the squared neutrino field is massive ---- quaternions can be like this." Neutrinos as I understand them actually have mass, so is this statement accurate? Also, if the answer can only be expressed clearly, mathematically, then feel free to do so. Lastly, I hope this is the appropriate place to submit this. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it is not.

4. Oct 9, 2016 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

And to extend that answer: the statement does not make sense at all.

"Apples do not have mass but the squared apple flavor has one hour - like cars"

5. Oct 9, 2016 #4
    This is exactly what I expected. I figured it was nonsense but I had to make sure. Thanks!

6. Oct 9, 2016 #5
    One more thing: do any of you know who Dennis Morris is? I can't seem to find out who this person is. Not sure about you, but this kind of fishy.

7. Oct 9, 2016 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Never heard of him, based on some Amazon book descriptions he looks like a crackpot.
    The descriptions of the books are often nonsense, the books are all self-published and they are not sold in any relevant number. And then there is this great customer review:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted