On transmission coefficients in QM case -checking my reasoning

In summary, the task was to calculate the transmission probability when the energy of a particle is less than the potential barrier, given that the barrier is infinitely long. The equations used were for region I and II, with the assumption that the particles are coming from the left. The solution involved setting boundary conditions and solving for the transmission coefficient, which turns out to be zero due to the fact that the potential barrier is infinitely long and the energy is less than the potential. There was also a discussion about the correct way to calculate the transmission and reflection coefficients.
Emspak

Homework Statement

The task is to calculate the transmission probability when E<V0 given that the step potential barrier is of infinite length.

Homework Equations

So far it seems simple enough. For region I, where x<0, (we're assuming, as usual, that the particles/ waves are coming from the left) I had

[itex] \phi''_I = \frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}\phi[/itex] and [itex] \phi''_{II} = \frac{2m(E-V_0)}{\hbar^2}\phi[/itex]

and we will let [itex]\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2} = k_1^2[/itex] and [itex]\frac{2m(E-V_0)}{\hbar^2} = k_2^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

SO I go through the whole process of solving the DQ.

[itex] \phi_I = Ae^{ik_1x} + Be^{-ik_1x}[/itex]
[itex] \phi_{II} = Ce^{ik_2x} + De^{-ik_2x}[/itex]

[itex] \phi_I' = ik_1Ae^{ik_1x} -ik_1Be^{-ik_1x}[/itex]
[itex] \phi_{II}' = ik_2Ce^{ik_2x} -ik_2De^{-ik_2x}[/itex]

The two first derivatives are also equal at x=0, which sets another boundary condition.

D=0 here because the particles are all moving from the left to right and there isn't anything coming from the right.

That gets me

[itex]ik_1A -ik_1B = ik_2C \rightarrow k_1(-A + B) = k_2C \rightarrow \frac{C}{A} = \frac{2k_1}{k_1+k_2}[/itex]

and the transmission probability is
[itex]\frac{|C|^2}{|A|^2} = \frac{|2k_1|^2}{|k_1+k_2|^2}[/itex]

So far so good, I think. But then I noticed something. When I plugged in my k1 and k2 this happened:

[tex]\frac{|2k_1|^2}{|k_1+k_2|^2}=\frac{ \frac{8mE}{\hbar^2}}{\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2} +2 \left(\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar} \right) \left(\frac{\sqrt{2m(E-V_0)}}{\hbar}\right)+\frac{2m(E-V_0)}{\hbar^2}}=\frac{4E}{2E+2\sqrt{2E}\sqrt{(E-V_0)}-V_0}[/tex]

Anyhow I was just curious if I did this right because what was interesting was that you get an imaginary component in there but I could make it into a complex conjugate. (At least the first two terms). And I was interested in whether I should do that to get a real coefficient. I suppose it's just algebra, but I wanted to make sure I did this right from the get go.

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Emspak said:

Homework Statement

The task is to calculate the transmission probability when E<V0 given that the step potential barrier is of infinite length.

Homework Equations

So far it seems simple enough. For region I, where x<0, (we're assuming, as usual, that the particles/ waves are coming from the left) I had

[itex] \phi''_I = \frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}\phi[/itex] and [itex] \phi''_{II} = \frac{2m(E-V_0)}{\hbar^2}\phi[/itex]

and we will let [itex]\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2} = k_1^2[/itex] and [itex]\frac{2m(E-V_0)}{\hbar^2} = k_2^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

SO I go through the whole process of solving the DQ.

[itex] \phi_I = Ae^{ik_1x} + Be^{-ik_1x}[/itex]
[itex] \phi_{II} = Ce^{ik_2x} + De^{-ik_2x}[/itex]

[itex] \phi_I' = ik_1Ae^{ik_1x} -ik_1Be^{-ik_1x}[/itex]
[itex] \phi_{II}' = ik_2Ce^{ik_2x} -ik_2De^{-ik_2x}[/itex]

The two first derivatives are also equal at x=0, which sets another boundary condition.

D=0 here because the particles are all moving from the left to right and there isn't anything coming from the right.
One problem is that your ##k_2## is imaginary, so ##\phi_{II}## doesn't represent propagating waves. If instead you define ##k_2^2 = \frac{2m(V_0-E)}{h^2}## so that ##k_2## is real, you can see that the solution in region II is ##\phi_{II} = Ce^{-k_2x} + De^{k_2x}##. For the wave function to remain bounded as ##x \to \infty##, you have to have D=0.

That gets me

[itex]ik_1A -ik_1B = ik_2C \rightarrow k_1(-A + B) = k_2C \rightarrow \frac{C}{A} = \frac{2k_1}{k_1+k_2}[/itex]

and the transmission probability is
[itex]\frac{|C|^2}{|A|^2} = \frac{|2k_1|^2}{|k_1+k_2|^2}[/itex]
You actually have to compare the current densities, given by
$$j = \frac{\hbar}{2mi}\left(\psi^*\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}-\psi\frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x}\right).$$ The transmission and reflection coefficients are then given by ##T = \left\lvert \frac{j_\text{trans}}{j_\text{inc}}\right\rvert## and ##R = \left\lvert \frac{j_\text{refl}}{j_\text{inc}}\right\rvert##. If you work out the reflection coefficient, you should be able to show that it's given by ##R = \lvert B/A \rvert^2 = 1##. The transmission coefficient must therefore vanish. This should make sense physically since the particle must always be reflected because E < V0 and the barrier is infinitely long.

Moreover, the transmission coefficient isn't generally given by ##T = \lvert C/A \rvert^2##. This only holds if the potential V(x) is the same in the two regions. In this problem, besides the fact that in region II, you don't have a propagating wave, you also have that V(x) is different for x<0 and x>0.

So far so good, I think. But then I noticed something. When I plugged in my k1 and k2 this happened:

[tex]\frac{|2k_1|^2}{|k_1+k_2|^2}=\frac{ \frac{8mE}{\hbar^2}}{\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2} +2 \left(\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar} \right) \left(\frac{\sqrt{2m(E-V_0)}}{\hbar}\right)+\frac{2m(E-V_0)}{\hbar^2}}=\frac{4E}{2E+2\sqrt{2E}\sqrt{(E-V_0)}-V_0}[/tex]

Anyhow I was just curious if I did this right because what was interesting was that you get an imaginary component in there but I could make it into a complex conjugate. (At least the first two terms). And I was interested in whether I should do that to get a real coefficient. I suppose it's just algebra, but I wanted to make sure I did this right from the get go.

thanks in advance.
Though this isn't the correct way to get the transmission coefficient, I thought I should still note that because of the way you defined ##k_2##, you can't say that ##\lvert k_1 + k_2 \rvert^2 = (k_1 + k_2)^2## because ##k_2## is imaginary. Remember that ##\lvert z \rvert^2 = z z^*##, which will always yield a real result.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
OK, so I just want to make sure, did I do the problem right, though, at lest up to the last part? I was told that [itex]\frac{|C|^2}{|A|^2}+\frac{|B|^2}{|A|^2}=1[/itex]

and given what you told me about the actual calculation of transmission and reflection coefficients - the problem says a single particle, does that still apply? There isn't flux there in that case, it's just one, so is the transmission coefficient C/A at that point?

No, you didn't do it correctly. That was the main point of my post!

OK, r-doing this a bit I tried re-defining some constants this way (I also noticed that I might have messed up a negative sign):

The time independent schrodinger is:

[tex]\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}= (E-V)\psi(x)[/tex]

(note the minus sign at the front) So when I set up my solution I should define my constants as:

[itex]k_1^2 = \frac{-2mE}{\hbar^2}E[/itex] and [itex]k_1^2 = \frac{-2m(E-V}{\hbar^2}E[/itex]

sort of as before. But this time the solution set-up should be:

[itex]Ae^{ik_1x}+Be^{ik_1x}=\phi_{I}[/itex] and [itex]Ce^{-ik_2x}+De^{ik_2x}=\phi_{I}[/itex] and D goes away because there is no wave coming from the left.

Note that this time I made my exponent negative for C so it decays away past x=0 as one might expect. When I go through the whole process again this time I got (once I set up my boundary conditions)

[itex]2ik_1A = -k_2(A+B) + ik_1(A+B)[/itex]

and doing the algebra for B/A

[itex] \frac{B}{A} = \frac{ik_1-k_2)}{ik_1+k_2}[/itex]

and when I square that I get

[itex] \left(\frac{B}{A}\right)^2 = \frac{-k_1^2+2k_1k_2+k_2^2}{-k_1^2-2k_1K_2+k_2^2}[/itex]

and since k2 is an imaginary number and it is multiplied in the second terms of the quadratic by i, then it's all real. I ended up with, for instance in the nominator

[itex]\frac{-2m}{\hbar^2}+i\sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}}2i\sqrt{\frac{2m(V-E)}{\hbar^2}}+\frac{2m(E-V)}{\hbar^2}= \frac{2m}{\hbar^2}-2\sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}}\sqrt{\frac{2m(V-E)}{\hbar^2}}+\frac{2m(E-V)}{\hbar^2}=\frac{-2m}{\hbar^2}-2\sqrt{\frac{4m^2(E-V)}{\hbar^4}}+\frac{2m(E-V)}{\hbar^2}[/itex]

taking out -2m/h-bar squared :

[itex]\frac{-2m}{\hbar^2}(1+2\sqrt{(V-E)}-(E-V))[/itex]
the denominator gets something similar, except it is

[itex]\frac{-2m}{\hbar^2}(1-2\sqrt{(V-E)}-(E-V))[/itex]

so, did I get it this time :-) ?

I also just realized that since the nominator and denominator of B/A can be multiplied by the complex conjugates to get the absolute value squared I didn't need to do so much algebra.

No, you didn't get it. I already told you R=1, and your expression doesn't give that. Did you really need me to tell you that?

Doing it again, I am getting R=1, and T=0, but I guess what's hanging me up is that if I calculate T separately I end up with nonzero values. It's weird. Now, maybe that's just a function of QM and the fact that Cexp(-k2)x is a real function and so you get the evanescent wave. I tried your method BTW and got a zero for R. I guess what's not satisfying me is that I feel like the transmission coefficient formula you have there (and when I go over it in the text) seems a bit, I dunno, arbitrary. But I will freely admit I mightn't have the ability/background to do a formal proof. I don't recall seeing the T formula you have in the class, is all. And it isn't in my notes, so I suspect there's some other method they want us to use.

I don't know what you did, but "my way" and "your way" of calculating R are the same, so you shouldn't be getting different answers. Your method for calculating T, however, is incorrect for the reasons I said above.

I'm not sure why you think the formula I gave is any more arbitrary than someone telling you (incorrectly) that ##T = |C/A|^2##. I'm sure your book discusses how to calculate T as does the following Wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability_current

If you want to avoid this kind of calculation, you can always calculate R and find T=1-R. The point of this problem may very well have been to get you to figure out why the method you used doesn't work.

Likes 1 person
I eventually figured out what the problem was (I think) -- the issue I was having was that I thought there was supposed to be a non-zero transmission coefficient, since this being QM there's a small probability it will get through. But then I realized that you just need to mention the evanescent wave (which decays exponentially) and that's ok, at leas in terms of this problem. Sorry to waste your time -- I was totally screwed up in how I understood the math.

1. What is a transmission coefficient?

A transmission coefficient is a measure of the probability that a particle will pass through a potential barrier in quantum mechanics. It is typically represented by the letter T and can range from 0 to 1, with 1 representing complete transmission and 0 representing complete reflection.

2. How is the transmission coefficient calculated?

The transmission coefficient is calculated using the transmission formula, T = (I_t/I_i), where I_t is the intensity of the transmitted wave and I_i is the intensity of the incident wave. It can also be calculated using the wave function and boundary conditions of the system.

3. Why is it important to check reasoning when calculating transmission coefficients?

Checking reasoning is important in order to ensure that the calculated transmission coefficient accurately reflects the physical properties of the system. It helps to identify any potential errors or inconsistencies in the calculation and allows for a more accurate interpretation of the results.

4. What factors can affect the transmission coefficient?

The transmission coefficient can be affected by various factors such as the energy of the particle, the potential barrier height and width, and the angle of incidence. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and the presence of other particles.

5. How does the transmission coefficient relate to the probability of tunneling?

The transmission coefficient is directly related to the probability of tunneling, as it represents the likelihood of a particle tunneling through a potential barrier. A higher transmission coefficient indicates a higher probability of tunneling, while a lower coefficient suggests a lower probability.