One 3rd degree equation with two variables. Can it be a solution?

In summary, the person is trying to find all the integer solutions to the equation x3-727x=y3-727y, but they get stuck because x-y can be zero. They eventually find a solution by solving for y and realizing that x^2+xy+y^2 must be a square number if y is an integer.
Ceva
Hello this is my first post here. I found a problem in algebra which i cannot solve and don't even know if there are solutions as asked.
It is that one:

Homework Statement

Find all the integer solutions (x,y) that satisfy the equation:

Homework Equations

×3-727× = y3 - 727y

The Attempt at a Solution

x3 - y3 = 727x - 727y
(x-y)(x2+xy+y2)=727(x-y)

I didn't divided by (x-y) because i think i'll lose solutions. Also, x-y can be zero (i think).

So i finally have: (x-y)(x2+xy+y2-727)=0

How can i continue? Can i factorize more the second bracket? Or i can solve it graphically?

Also, x-y=0 doesn't mean that i have infinite solutions? If i set myself x and y Ε Z .

Physics news on Phys.org
If x = y, then (x-y) = 0 and you have a set of solutions (a straight line).
If x <> y, then your other solutions satisfy x^2 + xy + y^2 = 727 (an ellipse).

Ceva said:
Hello this is my first post here. I found a problem in algebra which i cannot solve and don't even know if there are solutions as asked.
It is that one:

Homework Statement

Find all the integer solutions (x,y) that satisfy the equation:

Homework Equations

×3-727× = y3 - 727y

The Attempt at a Solution

x3 - y3 = 727x - 727y
(x-y)(x2+xy+y2)=727(x-y)

I didn't divided by (x-y) because i think i'll lose solutions. Also, x-y can be zero (i think).

So i finally have: (x-y)(x2+xy+y2-727)=0

How can i continue? Can i factorize more the second bracket? Or i can solve it graphically?

Also, x-y=0 doesn't mean that i have infinite solutions? If i set myself x and y Ε Z .

You can have x = y = any integer, so already there are infinitely many solutions. To look for solutions with x ≠ y, divide out your above expression by (x-y)---which IS allowed when x ≠ y-- to get x^2 + x*y + y^2 = 727. Using various methods you can find the maximum and minimum possible values of x, which are
[tex] x_{\min} = -\frac{2}{3}\sqrt{2181} \doteq -31.1342 \\
x_{\max} = \frac{2}{3}\sqrt{2181} \doteq 31.1342 ,[/tex]
so the only integer values of x you need to look at are those from x = -31 to +31. For each x you can solve the quadratic equation to find the two values of y. You can just use a loop over x from -31 to + 31 and look at all the y-values to see if any of them come out as integers.

Okay, i found the solution. I solved with respect to y and what was over the root must be a square number in order to be an integer. From there it wasn't difficult to find the solutions. Thanks for your help!

1. Can a 3rd degree equation with two variables have a solution?

Yes, it is possible for a 3rd degree equation with two variables to have a solution. However, it may not always have a real number solution and may require the use of complex numbers.

2. How do you solve a 3rd degree equation with two variables?

To solve a 3rd degree equation with two variables, you will need to use algebraic techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. It may also be helpful to use a graphing calculator or computer program to find the solution.

3. Can a 3rd degree equation with two variables have more than one solution?

Yes, a 3rd degree equation with two variables can have more than one solution. This means that there can be multiple values for the variables that satisfy the equation.

4. Are there any special cases for a 3rd degree equation with two variables?

Yes, there are special cases for a 3rd degree equation with two variables. For example, if the equation has all variables on one side and a constant on the other side, it may have infinitely many solutions.

5. What applications are there for a 3rd degree equation with two variables?

3rd degree equations with two variables have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model real-life situations and find solutions to complex problems.