1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One-D Kinematic Question w/ rising hot air balloon

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hot-air balloon has just lifted off and is rising at a constant rate of 2.3m/s. Suddenly, one of the passengers realizes she has left her camera on the ground. A friend picks it up and tosses it straight upward with an initial speed of 14m/s.

If the passenger is 2.5m above her friend when the camera is tossed, how high is she when the camera reaches her.

2. Relevant equations

Constant linear acceleration equations

v=v(i) +a*t
    x=x(i) + v(i)t + 1/2at^2

3. The attempt at a solution

The part of this problem that confuses me is the acceleration of the camera. I know that the acceleration of the balloon is just -9.8 but how can I find the acceleration of the camera without time, etc. I tried solving where x(balloon)= x(camera) but i used -9.8 as the acceleration for both and i do not believe i got the right time.

Any help would be great.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The acceleration of the camera is the same as any other body in free fall.
    No. You are told that the balloon is rising at a constant rate--so what must be its acceleration?

4. Sep 6, 2012 #3
    zero, ok i understand, i just thought -g would still act on the balloon but it wouldn't

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook