Finding mass of cargo dropped from hot air balloon

In summary: Got it. Ill see if I can work it out. Thanks for the reply!In summary, the problem involves hot air balloonists who are accelerating downwards with a given acceleration a. They want to accelerate upwards at the same rate, so they toss out some cargo mass m. The total mass of the balloon plus passengers and cargo is M. The equation F=ma is applicable. The force on the balloon initially moving downwards is either Ma or M(a+g) considering gravity. Buoyancy is also a factor to consider. When the buoyant force equals the total weight of the balloon, it is stationary. The total weight includes the mass of the balloon, the basket, the envelope containing gas, the gas itself, and the passengers
Mike13

Homework Statement

Some hot air balloonists find themselves accelerating downward with acceleration a at a moment when the mass of the balloon plus the passengers and cargo is M. They want to accelerate upwards at the same rate, so they toss out some of the cargo mass m (and maybe one or two of the balloonists). Determine m.
[/B]

Homework Equations

F=ma[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I think the force on the hot air balloon initially moving downward is either Ma or M(a+g). I thought it would just be the total mass times the acceleration given in the problem but gravity still has to be considered right? And once the cargo is thrown out the total mass will be (M-m). I guess I just don't know how to isolate m. This is a review question for my final exam and my professor doesn't give answers to anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Mike13 said:

Homework Statement

Some hot air balloonists find themselves accelerating downward with acceleration a at a moment when the mass of the balloon plus the passengers and cargo is M. They want to accelerate upwards at the same rate, so they toss out some of the cargo mass m (and maybe one or two of the balloonists). Determine m.
[/B]

Homework Equations

F=ma[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I think the force on the hot air balloon initially moving downward is either Ma or M(a+g). I thought it would just be the total mass times the acceleration given in the problem but gravity still has to be considered right? And once the cargo is thrown out the total mass will be (M-m). I guess I just don't know how to isolate m. This is a review question for my final exam and my professor doesn't give answers to anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated![/B]
Balloons work on buoyancy, so what happens when the buoyant force of the balloon equals its total weight?

SteamKing said:
Balloons work on buoyancy, so what happens when the buoyant force of the balloon equals its total weight?
Wow, buoyancy? I was way off. I'm guessing if the total weight equals the buoyant force then the balloon is stationary? So its total weight is Mg, which ill set equal to the buoyant force? Wouldn't I need to take into account the gas in the balloon?

Mike13 said:
Wow, buoyancy? I was way off. I'm guessing if the total weight equals the buoyant force then the balloon is stationary? So its total weight is Mg, which ill set equal to the buoyant force? Wouldn't I need to take into account the gas in the balloon?
M would include the mass of the balloon (the basket, the envelope containing the gas, the gas itself, the passengers, etc.) Given the amount of acceleration the balloon experiences when it starts to drop, the balloon possibly has sprung a leak or something, but it is not yet in free-fall.

SteamKing said:
M would include the mass of the balloon (the basket, the envelope containing the gas, the gas itself, the passengers, etc.) Given the amount of acceleration the balloon experiences when it starts to drop, the balloon possibly has sprung a leak or something, but it is not yet in free-fall.
Got it. Ill see if I can work it out. Thanks for the reply!

1. How do you determine the mass of cargo dropped from a hot air balloon?

To determine the mass of cargo dropped from a hot air balloon, you would need to first measure the weight of the balloon before and after the cargo is dropped. The difference in weight would be the mass of the cargo.

2. Can the mass of the cargo be calculated using other methods?

Yes, the mass of the cargo could also be calculated by measuring the volume of the cargo and using its density to calculate the mass.

3. Does the altitude of the hot air balloon affect the mass of the cargo?

No, the altitude of the hot air balloon does not affect the mass of the cargo. However, it may affect the weight of the cargo due to changes in air density.

4. How accurate is the measurement of the mass of cargo dropped from a hot air balloon?

The accuracy of the measurement depends on the precision of the equipment used and the method chosen to determine the mass. Generally, it is recommended to use calibrated scales for more accurate measurements.

5. Why is it important to know the mass of cargo dropped from a hot air balloon?

Knowing the mass of cargo dropped from a hot air balloon is important for safety reasons, as it can affect the stability and control of the balloon. It is also important for logistical purposes, such as determining how much weight the balloon can carry and how much fuel is needed for the flight.