One Dimensional Hot Air Balloon Kinematics

In summary, the problem involves a hot-air balloon rising at a constant rate and a passenger realizing she left her camera on the ground. The camera is tossed upward by a friend and the question is how high the passenger is when the camera reaches her. Using the equations for one-dimensional kinematics, the distance equations for the camera and the balloon can be set equal to each other. After rearranging the equation and solving using the quadratic formula, the answer is found to be approximately 3.2 meters. However, the answer may vary depending on the specific equations used.
Flippit

Homework Statement

A hot-air balloon has just lifted off and is rising at the constant rate of 2.3 m/s. Suddenly one of the passengers realizes she has left her camera on the ground. A friend picks it up and tosses it straight upward with an initial speed of 12 m/s. If the passenger is 2.5m above her friend when the camera is tossed, how high is she when the camera reaches her?

Homework Equations

One-Dimensional Kinematics

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried setting the distances of the balloon and the camera equal to each other,

camera: 12t+.5*-9.81t^2
balloon: 2.3t+2.5

12t+.5*-9.81t^2=2.3t+2.5

then I rearranged the equation

12t-4.905t^2-2.3t=2.5
9.7t-4.905t^2-2.5=0
-4.905t^2+9.7t-2.5=0

Next, I plugged the equation into the quadratic formula.

t= -9.7+-sqrt 9.7^2-4.905*-2.5/2*-4.905
t= -9.7+-sqrt 94.09+19.62*-2.5/-9.81
t= -9.7+-sqrt 94.09-49.05/-9.81
t= -9.7+-sqrt 45.04/9.81
t= -9.7+-6.71/9.81
t= .305, 1.67

next, I plugged the t value into the formula x= Xi + Vi*t + .5at^2
x= 0 + 12*.305 + .5*-9.81*.305^2
x= 3.66-4.905*.093
x= 3.66 -.456
x= 3.2m

I entered this into the website we turn our homework into, but it said the answer was incorrect, I'm not really sure what I did wrong, all my math seems correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Flippit! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Flippit said:
x= 3.2m

I entered this into the website we turn our homework into, but it said the answer was incorrect, I'm not really sure what I did wrong, all my math seems correct.

Looks ok to me. :confused:

(except I would have used the 2.3t+2.5 equation at the end, instead of the quadratic :wink:)

Alright, I guess I'll just have to talk to my teacher about it. Thanks for looking it over!

What is a one dimensional hot air balloon?

A one dimensional hot air balloon is a simplified model of a hot air balloon that only takes into account motion in a single direction, typically vertical. This model is often used in introductory physics to study the basic principles of kinematics.

What factors affect the kinematics of a one dimensional hot air balloon?

The kinematics of a one dimensional hot air balloon are affected by several factors, including the temperature of the air inside the balloon, the amount of hot air being pumped into the balloon, the weight of the balloon and its cargo, and the force of gravity.

How does a one dimensional hot air balloon move?

A one dimensional hot air balloon moves by using the difference in density between the hot air inside the balloon and the cooler air outside to create lift. The hot air is less dense, causing it to rise, and this upward motion propels the balloon upward.

Can a one dimensional hot air balloon change direction?

Yes, a one dimensional hot air balloon can change direction by adjusting the amount of hot air being pumped into the balloon or by releasing some of the hot air. This changes the buoyancy of the balloon and allows it to move in different directions.

What are the applications of studying one dimensional hot air balloon kinematics?

Studying one dimensional hot air balloon kinematics can help scientists and engineers better understand the basic principles of motion, as well as the factors that affect the movement of objects in the air. This knowledge can be applied to design and improve hot air balloons, as well as other forms of air transportation.