1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One-dimensional wave equation with non-constant speed

1. Aug 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The cross-section of a long string (string along the x axis) is not constant, but it changes wit the coordinate x sinusoidally. Explore how a wave, caused with a short stroke, spreads through the string.

2. Relevant equations

Relevant is the one-dimensional wave equation, where the wave speed c is not a constant (i.e. c=√T/ρS, where T is the string tension, ρ is the density of the string, and S is the cross-section).

The cross-section:
    S=S1+S2*Sin[x]

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought about using Laplace transformation so that I get an ordinary differential equation. I also have trouble with the initial conditions, I don't know what is meant by short stroke, or if it really matters.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I interpret 'short stroke' as simply meaning it is a small perturbation.
    Can you write down the wave equation?

4. Aug 19, 2013 #3
    The wave equation:

(∂^2 u)/(∂t)^2 = c^2 (∂^2 u)/(∂x)^2,

where u is displacement of the string and c is the wave speed. c is not a constant, because c^2 = T/S, where T is the string tension and S is the cross-sectional area and is dependant on x. S[x]=S1+S2*Sin[x].

(Sorry about the formatting. The ∂ stands for derivative.)

5. Aug 19, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In LaTeX: ##\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2} = c^2\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}##.
    So, plugging in the expression for c(x), can you apply e.g. separation of variables?

6. Aug 20, 2013 #5
    I think not, because the initial conditions are probably going to be in the form u(t=0,x)=f(x) and [itex]\frac{∂u}{∂t}[/itex](t=0,x)=g(x), because it is an infinite string (no boundary conditions). But if I we separate variables (i.e. u(x,t)=X(x)*T(t)), we have to put a single value and not a function for initial conditions (example: X(0)=value, instead of u(t=0,x)= function).

I was wandering if d'Alembert's formula applies if speed of propagation (also c in the link) is not constant?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted