1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Propagating waves along a non uniform string.

1. Dec 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The linear mass density of a non uniform wire under constant tension decreases gradually along the wire so that the incedent wave is transmitted without reflection. the wire is uniform for* -∞≤x≤0
    In this region, a transverse wave has the form y(x,t) = 0.003cos(30x − 60t). From x=0 to x=20 the linear mass density decreases fromμ to μ/9 and is again constant as μ/9 from x=20 to x=∞
    i. what is the wave velocity for large values of x(>20)?
    ii.What is the amplitude of the wave for large values of a(>20m). you should get this from conservation of mechanical energy.
    iii.What's y(x,t) for x=20 to x=∞.

2. Relevant equations

v=sqrt(F/μ)

3. The attempt at a solution

for part i. I used the above equation to equate the value of force for a wave from - infinity to 0 and 20 to infinity as the tension is uniform throughout the string and solved for the velocities in terms of each other. However I don't understand how to get a numerical answer.

for part ii and iii I am struggling to see even how to approach this question :(

any help would be most welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What's the speed of the wave for x<0? You should be able to figure that out from the y(x) given to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted