One solution, no solution or infinite solutions with k

• Thread starter Mrencko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinite
In summary: No, the lines will either have no intersection (if k is not equal to 6) or they will be the same line (if k is equal to 6).
Mrencko

Homework Statement

¿which one values of "k" the next equation sistem don't have solutions, exactly one solution, infinite solutions?

Homework Equations

testy.png

The Attempt at a Solution

well i guess i need to assign values to test the equations, but i am asking for a metod to help solve this if they are more complex, by the way i am finding solutions, like k=6
but i don't know if foward in number scale are there other solutions
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Mrencko said:

Homework Statement

¿which one values of "k" the next equation sistem don't have solutions, exactly one solution, infinite solutions?

Homework Equations

View attachment 100081

well i guess i need to assign values to test the equations, but i am asking for a metod to help solve this if they are more complex, by the way i am finding solutions, like k=6
but i don't know if foward in number scale are there other solutions
In general, how do you solve such a system for x and y ?

well doing matrix, or for this simple equations sustitution metod, but how to solve whith a teorical k in place?

Mrencko said:
well doing matrix, or for this simple equations sustitution metod, but how to solve whith a teorical k in place?
Leave it as k. Try substitution.
Mrencko said:
Just keep k and solve as you would normally solve with substitution.

do you mean, solve like k doesn't exist? and put a 0?

Mrencko said:
do you mean, solve like k doesn't exist? and put a 0?
No leave it as k.
Use algebra.

its says k=6 so i am ok, but its ok to do the metod whith complex equations? like 5x5

Mrencko said:
its says k=6 so i am ok, ...but its ok to do the metod whith complex equations? like 5x5
Now put 6 in for k. Solve the system again in this specific case. (Matrix method may be clearer.)

(I don't understand your last question.)

there are some exercices when they put 3x3 equation sistem and in all the equations a k, or in two of them and they ask the same about solutions

If you use a 6 for k, how would you describe the solution set?

correct me if i am wrong but must be k=6 and must be x>y because x-y=positive number, so y=x-3

Mrencko said:
correct me if i am wrong but must be k=6 and must be x>y because x-y=positive number, so y=x-3
k must be 6 , that's correct.

y does not have to be positive.

It is also correct that y = x - 3.

How do you describe the equation y = x - 3 ?

How many possible solutions does that give for (x,y) ?

Maybe it's unfair to call this 'obvious'. Maybe it's obviousness depends on familiarity.

But if it doesn't hit you in the eye now, after you divide the second equation by 2 doesn't it?

I think its a linear function, starts at - 3 in y axis, and the solutions for that only and specific equation must be infinite

Yes this is easy, i am looking for a metod to do this right and quick for more complex equation system, for my test

Mrencko said:
I think its a linear function, starts at - 3 in y axis, and the solutions for that only and specific equation must be infinite
(Please try to use the "Reply" feature, so it's clear who you are addressing and what question you are answering.)

The y-intercept is -3, but the line doesn't start there.

Mrencko said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

View attachment 100081

but i don't know if foward in number scale are there other solutions[/B]
The system is
$$x - y = 3$$
$$2x - 2y = k$$
It might be helpful to look at the geometry here. If k = 6, the two equations are equivalent -- they describe exactly the same line. Any point (x, y) on one line is also on the other line.

If ##k \ne 6##, what can you say about the lines? Do they intersect?

Is it possible for the two lines to intersect at exactly one point?

Last edited:
interesting, the way of the geometry, well if k its not 6 then the lines will be parallel whiout any intersection, am i right?

Mrencko said:
interesting, the way of the geometry, well if k its not 6 then the lines will be parallel whiout any intersection, am i right?
Right !

thanks for your time, people it was very rich the explanation and hit direct into the point of my question, thanks really

so the system have infinite solutions, as long the functions overlap

Mrencko said:
What if the overlap is just a single point?

then there should be just one solution, because there isn't two functions, that overlap in one point and then overlap each other to ifinite

Mrencko said:
then there should be just one solution, because there isn't two functions, that overlap in one point and then overlap each other to ifinite
What you say is true for linear functions, which is probably all that you are considering.

At some point you asked about more complicated systems such as 3×3 or 5×5 .

Those can best be analyzed using matrix methods.

Mrencko said:

SammyS said:
What if the overlap is just a single point?

Mrencko said:
Can the system in this thread have just a single solution? In other words, can the lines represented by the two equations of this system intersect at exactly one point?

1. What does it mean to have one solution with k?

Having one solution with k means that there is only one value of k that satisfies the given equation or system of equations. In other words, there is only one value of k that makes the equation or system true.

2. How do you determine if there is no solution with k?

If there is no solution with k, it means that there is no value of k that can satisfy the equation or system of equations. This can be determined by solving the equation or system and finding that there is a contradiction or an impossible solution.

3. What is an infinite solution with k?

An infinite solution with k means that there are infinitely many values of k that satisfy the equation or system of equations. In other words, any value of k can be substituted into the equation or system and it will still be true.

4. How can you tell if a system has no solution, one solution, or infinite solutions with k?

This can be determined by solving the system of equations and analyzing the resulting solution. If there is a unique solution, then there is one solution with k. If there is a contradiction, then there is no solution with k. If there are free variables, then there are infinite solutions with k.

5. Can a system have both one solution and infinite solutions with k?

No, a system cannot have both one solution and infinite solutions with k. This would result in a contradiction, as there cannot be both a unique solution and infinitely many solutions at the same time.