Find Real Values of k for Purely Real ##u##

  • Thread starter Thread starter squenshl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
squenshl
Messages
468
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


Find all possible values of ##k## that make ##u = \frac{k+4i}{1+ki}## a purely real number.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I calculated the complex conjugate which was ##\frac{5k}{k^2+1} + \frac{4-k^2}{k^2+1}i##. So to prove this do I just solve ##\frac{4-k^2}{k^2+1}## = 0 for ##k##?
In this case ##k = \pm 2##. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
squenshl said:

Homework Statement


Find all possible values of ##k## that make ##u = \frac{k+4i}{1+ki}## a purely real number.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I calculated the complex conjugate which was ##\frac{5k}{k^2+1} + \frac{4-k^2}{k^2+1}i##. So to prove this do I just solve ##\frac{4-k^2}{k^2+1}## = 0 for ##k##?
In this case ##k = \pm 2##. Thanks.
Did you try setting ##k= \pm 2## in the original number to see whether you get a real number?

Did you mean you multiplied the denominator and numerator by the conjugate of the numerator?
 
Yes to the first and yes to the second (conjugate of the denominator though) and it looks all good!
 
squenshl said:
Yes to the first and yes to the second (conjugate of the denominator though) and it looks all good!
It does look good!