1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Online Calculus 2 / Differential Equations for Credit?

1. Sep 16, 2010 #1
    Hello all! As it turns out, I have a condition that requires me to not be at a physical university this semester, but I would like to try and catch up a bit and also need to make my time off more productive.

I would like to take a couple of math courses, particularly Calculus 2 and Differential Equations. Calc 2 is more important but both would be nice. I have checked out MIT's OCW and Khan Academy- they look wonderful! However, I would like to get transferable credit to a university. Unfortunately, my university will not accept transfer credits from a community college, but they do offer a placement test that would allow me to place out if I have sufficient knowledge, so it is not out of the question. Also I feel it would be helpful to have tests and accountability- please don't think this is a reflection on my intelligence. I DO enjoy learning, but I can't see myself self studying.

I live in NYS, and am already paying $1300 for an out of state physics course (NCSU, highly recommend). Affordability is somewhat an issue but I expect to pay a decent amount.
    Most important I suppose is that it is self-paced, as most semester based classes have begun.

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to read, and any responses would be very helpful. Thank you so much!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2
    Coastline Community College might have one.
  4. Sep 17, 2010 #3
  5. Sep 20, 2010 #4
    Hi! Thanks for the suggestions. Definitely considering the Canadian one; unfortunately the Coasline Com. College one has already started.

@ Sankaku- I definitely would plan on doing Calc 2 first; however, I've learned a good portion of the material already, and thought perhaps if the courses are self paced I could finish Calc 2 and then move on before next semester. But thanks for letting me know.

Also in my research I've found these-

http://www.is.lsu.edu/coursefactsheet.asp?nid=301&Rubric=MATH&CourseNr=1552&Version=U ($346.00 = cheap!)

I suppose I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these (or any other). Should I just go for the cheapest one I can find? Seems like most cover the same things.

Thank you again!
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook