Online Masters Degree in Mathematics

In summary: Hi All,I would like to know which university/college is good for taking an online masters degree in mathematics at an affordable cost. I am a mechanical engineer and currently working in Saudi Arabia for the past 4 years. I was pretty good in Maths during school and college days. I feel like it is the right field for me. So now I want to take a masters degree in Maths. Also please advise me if the Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering will be enough to meet the required qualification for applying masters degree in Maths. Or do I have to take bachelors degree in this first? Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.Regards,Shahe
shaheer
Hi All,

I would like to know which university/college is good for taking an online masters degree in mathematics at an affordable cost. I am a mechanical engineer and currently working in Saudi Arabia for the past 4 years. I was pretty good in Maths during school and college days. I feel like it is the right field for me. So now I want to take a masters degree in Maths. Also please advise me if the Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering will be enough to meet the required qualification for applying masters degree in Maths. Or do I have to take bachelors degree in this first? Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Shaheer

Physics news on Phys.org
What math do you know?? Do you know real analysis, abstract algebra, topology, etc.?

micromass...I've never known anybody that studied mechanical engineering as an undergrad having abstract algebra or topology experience, but I guess it's possibly although probably not very likely.

shaheer, it's hard to answer your question since the requirements, recommedations, GRE's, etc. of a a graduate program, whether it be masters or ph.d., differs from school to school...and that's only talking about brick and mortar schools. Since you are concerning yourself only with online degrees, I'd imagine the same idea holds.

shaheer said:
Hi All,

I would like to know which university/college is good for taking an online masters degree in mathematics at an affordable cost. I am a mechanical engineer and currently working in Saudi Arabia for the past 4 years. I was pretty good in Maths during school and college days. I feel like it is the right field for me. So now I want to take a masters degree in Maths. Also please advise me if the Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering will be enough to meet the required qualification for applying masters degree in Maths. Or do I have to take bachelors degree in this first? Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Shaheer

I really don't know anything about this program, except that it's online, and the University of Washington is a very good school (and I'm not just saying that because I graduated from there :biggrin:).

http://www.amathonline.uw.edu/

I would assume that the OP is looking at various applied mathematics programs, rather than pure analysis, topology or algebra. Just a guess...

lisab said:
I really don't know anything about this program, except that it's online, and the University of Washington is a very good school (and I'm not just saying that because I graduated from there :biggrin:).

http://www.amathonline.uw.edu/

Columbia seems to have a similar setup:

http://www.cvn.columbia.edu/app_math_MS.php [Broken]

It is very expensive, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
shaheer said:
Hi All,

Regards,
Shaheer

As you say Maths rather than Math then I'm assuming you have a UK bias :) Check out:

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/qualification/f04.htm

Some universities might expect you do a lot of UG maths in preperation ... but the OU are not too demanding here. Your UG degree might be enough, if not: "If you are new to postgraduate study in mathematics you are advised initially to study The calculus of variations and advanced calculus (M820) on its own as your first module..." Should be an easy start for a mechanical engineer!

Even if you are not from the UK you can probably take this course, check the country restrictions on the site. Not sure what you mean by affordable... but this course is a lot cheaper for UK and EU citizens!

What is an online masters degree in mathematics?

An online masters degree in mathematics is a graduate-level program that allows students to study advanced topics in mathematics through online courses. It usually requires two years of full-time study and includes both theoretical and applied mathematics courses.

What are the benefits of earning an online masters degree in mathematics?

Some benefits of earning an online masters degree in mathematics include the flexibility to study from anywhere, the ability to continue working while pursuing a degree, and the opportunity to specialize in a specific area of mathematics.

What are the admission requirements for an online masters degree in mathematics?

The admission requirements for an online masters degree in mathematics vary by university, but typically include a bachelor's degree in mathematics or a related field, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require standardized test scores and/or previous coursework in specific math topics.

What career opportunities are available for graduates with an online masters degree in mathematics?

Graduates with an online masters degree in mathematics can pursue careers in a variety of fields, including data analysis, finance, education, and research. Some specific job titles may include data scientist, financial analyst, high school or college math teacher, and mathematician.

How much does an online masters degree in mathematics cost?

The cost of an online masters degree in mathematics can vary depending on the university, program length, and whether the student is considered in-state or out-of-state. On average, tuition for an online masters degree in mathematics can range from $10,000 to $30,000 per year. It is important to research and compare different programs to find the best fit for your budget and academic goals.