1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ooo template Method of image charges

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two semi-infinite grounded plane conductors that intersect at the origin, with an angle of 60 degrees between them. A point charge of q is located some distance from the origin, and bisects the angle between the two conductors, where would the image charges be and what would they be?

2. Relevant equations
    well you gotta know the method, I won't explain it in detail

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, here's the thing, I can solve the simpler similar problem where the conductors are at right angles(ie they intersect at the origin and run along the x and y axis, and the "vacuum" region is in the first quadrant)Based on that solution, I figure the image charges should be locacted... http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/Phys/Class/refln/u13l2f.html scroll down to the first big picture, about the middle. I figure where I1, I2, and I5 are. But really I'm a bit at a loss, if someone could poke me in the right direction. Is the problem described clearly enough?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2006 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The 5 images look right. Just make sure they each have the right sign and add the potential from all six charges.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?