Open And Closed Discs - What's The Difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between an open and closed disk in linear algebra. The open disk is defined as the set of points X, such that ||X - P|| < a, while the closed disk is defined as ||X - P|| \leq a. The significance of this distinction is that a closed disk includes the border points, while an open disk does not. The conversation ends with the understanding that a closed circle is the set of points inside the circle and the circle itself, while an open disk is the set of points inside the circle, but not the circle itself.
BOAS
Hello,

i'm working through Lang's 'Introduction To Linear Algebra' and am on page 18 (in case any of you are familiar with it).

He says that the set of points [itex]X[/itex], such that [itex]||X - P|| < a[/itex] where P is a point in the plane and a is a number > 0 is an open disc.

He then goes on to say that [itex]||X - P|| \leq a[/itex] will be the closed disc.

I'm having trouble understanding what the significance of this distinction is. I understand that if the set of points is equal to a, you get a circle, i.e the set of points at a distance a from p (in 2-space at least).

But it seems to me that an open disk is essentially a tiny tiny bit smaller than the close one... So, is there a clear difference that I'm not seeing?

EDIT - Okay, I see the difference. A closed circle is the set of points inside the circle and the circle itself, whilst the open ball is the set of points inside the circle, but not the circle itself.

Feel free to delete this :)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Look at the border and you'll see closed means it includes the border points. Okay I see your edit...

1. What is an open disc?

An open disc is a geometric shape that is formed by taking a point (called the center) and drawing a circle around it. The circle is not inclusive of the boundary, meaning it does not include the points on the edge of the circle.

2. What is a closed disc?

A closed disc is also a geometric shape formed by taking a point (called the center) and drawing a circle around it. However, the circle is inclusive of the boundary, meaning it includes all the points on the edge of the circle.

3. What is the difference between an open disc and a closed disc?

The main difference between an open disc and a closed disc is that the open disc does not include the boundary points, while the closed disc includes all the boundary points. This means that the open disc is an "open" shape, while the closed disc is a "closed" shape.

4. How are open and closed discs used in mathematics?

Open and closed discs are commonly used in mathematics to represent sets of numbers or points on a graph. They help to define boundaries and limits, and are often used in calculus and geometry to understand and solve problems related to functions and shapes.

5. Can an open disc and a closed disc have the same center and radius?

Yes, an open disc and a closed disc can have the same center and radius. The only difference between the two is the inclusion or exclusion of the boundary points. The center and radius determine the size and position of the disc, while its openness or closedness determines its shape.