1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open and closed sets of metric space

1. May 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am using Rosenlicht's Intro to Analysis to self-study.

1.) I learn that the complements of an open ball is a closed ball. And...
    2.) Some subsets of metric space are neither open nor closed.

2. Relevant equations

Is something amiss here? I do not understand how both can be true at the same time.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. The complement of an open set is an closed set but the complement of a "ball" is not a "ball". An open ball is of the form [itex]B_r(p)= \{ q| d(p, q)< r\right}[/itex]. In R, an "open ball" is an open interval, (a, b). Its complement is [itex](-\infty, a]\cup [b, \infty)[/itex] which is closed but not a "ball".

I don't see what one has to do with the other. The complement of any open set is closed, the complement of any closed set is open. The complement of a set that is neither closed nor open is neither closed nor open. The "half open interval" in R, (0, 1], is neither closed nor open.

By the way, there also exists sets in a metric space that are both open and closed!

4. May 12, 2010 #3
    But I know that in any metric space, an open ball is an open set/ closed ball is a close set. Also, the complement of an open set is a closed set.

But then according to you,

The complement of an open ball is not closed ball.

So an open set is not an open ball?

5. May 12, 2010 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are open sets that are not open balls. For example, a set consisting of the union of two disjoint open balls is an open set, but it is not an open ball.

An open ball is a set consisting of all points less than a certain distance from a given point.

An open set is any set with the following property: no point is so close to the "boundary" that I can't center a suitably small open ball around that point, such that the ball is entirely contained in the set.

Every open ball is an open set but not vice versa.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook