1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Open cover and Finite Subcover

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that each subset of R is not compact by describing an open cover for it that has no finite subcover.

b.) N (natural numbers)
    The correct solution for this is A_n = (n-1/3, n+1/3) for all n in N. But the answer I came up with is [1,n) for all n in N. Is my answer also correct? For each x in N, there will always be a z in N such that z>x, so therefore the set [1,n) will not have a finite subcover for N.

d.) {x in Q: 0<=x<=2}
    Correct solution:
    A_0 = (sqrt(2), 3)
    A_n = (-1, sqrt(2) - 1/n) for all n in N

I just want to confirm if my understand of this solution is correct. The reason why this works is because 1/n approaches 0 as n approaches infinity, but it never touches 0. Therefore, there will always be a space between sqrt(2)-1/n and sqrt(2). Thus, by density of the real number line, there will be a rational number in that space. Hence, we can never have a finite subcover.

I appreciate your patience. Thank you.

M

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

is [1,n) open?

4. May 24, 2010 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

also there's no one correct solution to these problems... your reasoning for the 2nd seems good to me

5. May 24, 2010 #4
    Ah...my mistake. How about (1,n) for all n in N? Is this an open cover of N with no finite subcover for N?

Thank you.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook