Open cover and Finite Subcover

• Thread starter michonamona
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Finite
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to show that subsets of R are not compact by describing open covers that have no finite subcover. The solutions presented are A_n = (n-1/3, n+1/3) for all n in N and A_0 = (sqrt(2), 3) with A_n = (-1, sqrt(2) - 1/n) for all n in N. The reasoning for the second solution is that as 1/n approaches 0, there will always be a space between sqrt(2)-1/n and sqrt(2), allowing for a rational number to be included. The conversation also mentions that there is no one correct solution to these problems.
michonamona

Homework Statement

Show that each subset of R is not compact by describing an open cover for it that has no finite subcover.

b.) N (natural numbers)
The correct solution for this is A_n = (n-1/3, n+1/3) for all n in N. But the answer I came up with is [1,n) for all n in N. Is my answer also correct? For each x in N, there will always be a z in N such that z>x, so therefore the set [1,n) will not have a finite subcover for N.

d.) {x in Q: 0<=x<=2}
Correct solution:
A_0 = (sqrt(2), 3)
A_n = (-1, sqrt(2) - 1/n) for all n in N

I just want to confirm if my understand of this solution is correct. The reason why this works is because 1/n approaches 0 as n approaches infinity, but it never touches 0. Therefore, there will always be a space between sqrt(2)-1/n and sqrt(2). Thus, by density of the real number line, there will be a rational number in that space. Hence, we can never have a finite subcover.

I appreciate your patience. Thank you.

M

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
is [1,n) open?

also there's no one correct solution to these problems... your reasoning for the 2nd seems good to me

lanedance said:
is [1,n) open?

Ah...my mistake. How about (1,n) for all n in N? Is this an open cover of N with no finite subcover for N?

lanedance said:
also there's no one correct solution to these problems... your reasoning for the 2nd seems good to me

Thank you.

1. What is an open cover?

An open cover is a collection of open sets that completely cover a given set. In other words, every point in the set is contained in at least one of the open sets in the cover.

2. What is a finite subcover?

A finite subcover is a subset of an open cover that still covers the original set, but contains a finite number of open sets. This means that the original set can be covered using only a finite number of open sets from the original cover.

3. Why are open covers and finite subcovers important in topology?

Open covers and finite subcovers are important concepts in topology because they help define the topological properties of a space. They are used to identify the open sets in a topological space, which in turn help determine the continuity, convergence, and connectedness of a space.

4. How are open covers and finite subcovers related to the concept of compactness?

In topology, a space is compact if every open cover has a finite subcover. This means that a space is compact if it can be covered by a finite number of open sets. Open covers and finite subcovers are essential in defining and understanding compactness in topological spaces.

5. Can an open cover have an infinite number of open sets?

Yes, an open cover can have an infinite number of open sets. However, for a space to be compact, there must exist a finite subcover. This means that even if the original open cover is infinite, there must be a way to select a finite number of open sets that still cover the space.