1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open set is a collection of regions

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let U be a nonempty open set. The U is the union of a collection of regions.

2. The attempt at a solution

Let x be an element of U. There exists a region R such that x is in R and R is in U. So x is also in the union of a collection of regions Rx. Then U is a subset of Rx → This is the part I don't understand even though the class agrees upon it.

Also, since for all x, x is in R and is in U, so Rx is a subset of U. → I don't understand this part either!

Therefore U = Rx
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2
    Can someone please help? A new proof is good too. Thanks!

4. Dec 7, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is your definition of "region"?

5. Dec 7, 2011 #4
    If a,b \in C and a<b, then the set of points between a and b is the region ab.

Thanks!

6. Dec 7, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Every x in U is in a region contained in U. Doesn't that make the union of all of those regions U?

7. Dec 7, 2011 #6
    Yeah. Then why is U a subset of the union of regions?

Since I'm showing U=union of regions, I want to show that U is a subset of the union of regions, and the union of regions is the subset of U.

Thanks a lot!

8. Dec 7, 2011 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because every element of U is in one of the regions. So U is a subset of the union of the regions. Since every region is a subset of U, then the union of the regions is a subset of U.

9. Dec 7, 2011 #8
    This TOTALLY makes my day. WOOHOO!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook