1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Topology: Understanding open sets

1. Nov 29, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We define ##X=\mathbb{N}^2\cup\{(0,0)\}## and ##\tau## ( the family of open sets) like this
    ##U\in\tau\iff(0,0)\notin U\lor \exists N\ni : n\in\mathbb{N},n>N\implies(\{n\}\times\mathbb{N})\backslash U\text{ is finite}##
    ##a)## Show that ##\tau## satisfies that axioms for open sets
    ##b)## Show that ##(0,0)## lies in the Closure of ##\mathbb{N}^2##
    ##c)## Describe closed sets in topology ##\tau##
    ##d)## show that there doesn't exists a sequence##(x_{n})_{n\in\mathbb{N}}\subset\mathbb{N}^2 \text{ for which }\lim x_{n}\xrightarrow[n->\infty]{X}(0,0)##.
    Assume that X is not first-countable
    ##e)##
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm having trouble visualizing the sets in ##\tau## I know from the first part that the every point which is not ##(0,0)## is open. Also I know that every union of such sets will also be open. Therefore ##\mathbb{N}^2## in itself is open. However I don't know how to visualize the other condition ##\exists N\ni : n\in\mathbb{N},n>N\implies(\{n\}\times\mathbb{N})\backslash U\text{ is finite}## I would really appreciate it if someone could explain to me how this sets look as I am unable to continue with the problem.
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2017 #2

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

What does ##\ni :## mean? And are you sure it is an OR in the defining property? That makes every set which doesn't contain ##(0,0)## an open set. Can you draw an open set which includes the origin, e.g. are ##\{(0,0),(1,1)\}## or ##\{(0,0),(1,\mathbb{N})\}## open?

4. Nov 29, 2017 #3
    https://i.gyazo.com/a809d7be047d7ed855211b4d51372367.png
    a809d7be047d7ed855211b4d51372367.png
    This is the original picture of the problem and pretty I'm sure that I translated it correctly. The ##\ni## is the main part that is bothering me because I don't know exactly what it means

5. Nov 29, 2017 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, let's see:
    So the open sets ##U ## are those which:
    1) Do not contain ## (0,0) ## or :
    2) The collection of pairs ## (n+k) \times \mathbb N - U ; k=0,1,2,...= \{ (n \times \mathbb N), (n+1) \times \mathbb N ,.....,(n+k) \times \mathbb N ,.... \} -U ## is finite . This means ##U## must contain EDIT all but finitely-many of the sets in each of the collections ## (n+k) \times \mathbb N; k=0,1,2,... ##
    Does this help?

6. Nov 29, 2017 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Best I can tell
    It means something like " So that" , or " With the property that" . EDIT and so it seems like this may be:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cofiniteness#Cofinite_topology

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  7. Nov 29, 2017 #6

fresh_42

2017 Award

Never seen it before. It probably means ##\forall ##. It's a bit strange and should be explained somewhere in the book.
    Google translates "ali" by "but", so I assume it to mean "and" and not "or", which means that not all sets without the origin are open. Thus I read it as follows:
    $$
    U \in \tau \Longleftrightarrow (0,0) \notin U\; \wedge \; \exists N \in \mathbb{N}\; \forall n > N \, : \,\vert \, \{n\}\times \mathbb{N} \backslash U \,\vert < \infty
    $$
    I haven't checked whether it's a topology or not. I would feel more comfortable, if this guesswork above wouldn't had been necessary. Especially "ali" makes a major difference.

8. Nov 29, 2017 #7

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, I think only those who contain ##(0,0)## and all-but-finitely-many elements in the set. Ze Risky topology you suggested in Random Thoughts. EDIT Then open sets are either those that contain all-but-finitely many elements of ##\mathbb N^2 ## or those that miss the origin. I think it is clear to see closedeness under union: 1) If neither set contains the origin, neither will the union; if each contains all-but-finitely-many, so will the union. 2) Clearly the whole space is there, as it contains all but finitely many ( none) . And clearly the empty set is also there. EDIT2: Still, don't b) and d) contradict each other?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  9. Nov 29, 2017 #8

fresh_42

2017 Award

You are right and Google translate was wrong!
    I checked two other translation pages and they both had "ali = OR"
    Corrected condition:
    $$U\in \tau \Longleftrightarrow (0,0)\notin U \vee \exists N\in \mathbb{N} \; \forall n>N\, : \, |\,\{n\}×\mathbb{N} \,\backslash \,U\,| < \infty $$

10. Nov 29, 2017 #9
    Thank you both
    Now I tried to continue what WWGD said. A set open if it does not contain ##(0,0)## or there exists some number ##N## so that for every number greater than N ##(\{n\}\times\mathbb{N})\backslash U ## is finite.
    So we need to check
    ##a)## whether any number of unions of such sets is again open
    ##b)## a finite number of intersection of such sets is again open
    So checking for intersections:
    Lets ignore the first part because if ##(0,0)\notin (A\wedge B)\implies (0,0)\notin A\cap B##
    Now lets say that there exist two numbers ##N,M## for sets ##U,V##such that ##\forall n>N\implies(\{n\}\times\mathbb{N})\backslash U\text{ is finite}## and ##\forall n>M \implies(\{n\}\times\mathbb{N})\backslash V\text{ is finite}## if we define ##k=\max\{M,N\}## the set we again get is open because both ##U## and ##V## can only miss finite many points therefore their intersection can only miss finite many points.

I believe I understand now how this topology works and will probably be able to continue.

Thank you both very much for the help

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted