Open source adaptive mesh code

In summary, the conversation is about starting a project that requires parallel code for adaptive mesh refinement. The person is looking for an open source library to use as a starting point and is seeking recommendations from others who have experience with different codes. The person is currently considering Open Foam, LLNL/SAMRAI, LANL/CLAMR, and MIT SU2. The speaker also mentions having some limited knowledge of OpenFOAM and praises its flexibility and availability of information on adaptive meshing.
phyzguy
Science Advisor
I want to start a project that requires parallel code for adaptive mesh refinement. I don't want to re-invent the wheel, and was hoping to leverage an open source library as a starting point. Does anyone have experience with any of these codes and could make a recommendation? At this point I am considering the following codes, but am open to others:

(1) Open Foam
(2) LLNL/SAMRAI
(3) LANL/CLAMR
(4) MIT SU2

Technology news on Phys.org
I have some limited knowledge of OpenFOAM, which I think is a great platform as it allows lots of flexibility. You will find lots of information online on how adaptive meshing can be implemented in OpenFOAM.

Likes phyzguy

What is an open source adaptive mesh code?

An open source adaptive mesh code is a computer program that allows for the creation and manipulation of a mesh, or grid, for use in numerical simulations. It is considered open source because the source code is freely available for anyone to view, modify, and distribute.

What makes an adaptive mesh code different from other mesh codes?

An adaptive mesh code uses algorithms to dynamically adjust the grid spacing in areas of interest, allowing for more accurate and efficient simulations. This is in contrast to traditional mesh codes, which use a fixed grid spacing throughout the entire simulation.

What are the benefits of using an open source adaptive mesh code?

Using an open source adaptive mesh code allows for greater transparency and collaboration within the scientific community. It also allows for customization and improvements to be made by users, leading to more accurate and efficient simulations.

Are there any limitations to using open source adaptive mesh codes?

One limitation is that the code may not be user-friendly for those without a strong background in computer programming. Additionally, the accuracy and reliability of the simulations may depend on the skills and expertise of the user in properly implementing the code.

Where can I find open source adaptive mesh codes?

There are many open source adaptive mesh codes available online, including on websites such as GitHub, SourceForge, and CFD-Online. It is also common for researchers and institutions to make their own codes publicly available on their websites.