Open-Source Book on Special Relativity - Free Download

In summary, The conversation was about an open-source book on special relativity that is available for feedback. The book is fairly complete in its coverage of topics and is under the same license as Wikipedia. One person expressed gratitude for the hard work and quality of the book. The author clarified that the book was on special relativity, not general relativity.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I've written an open-source book on special relativity: http://www.lightandmatter.com/sr/ . It's a work in progress, but at this point it's fairly complete in its coverage of topics, and I would welcome feedback. "Open-source" means that the LaTeX source code is available, and it's under the same license as Wikipedia.

Physics news on Phys.org
@bcrowell: Let me be the first to thank you for your hard work and generosity in making this book available to all of us. On occasions when I have referred to it, I have always found it technically competent and nicely illustrated. Nice work! :thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
yuiop said:
@bcrowell: Let me be the first to thank you for your hard work and generosity in making this book available to all of us. On occasions when I have referred to it, I have always found it technically competent and nicely illustrated. Nice work! :thumbs:

Thanks! :-) But maybe you're thinking of the GR book...? The SR book is new.

What is an open-source book?

An open-source book is a book that is made available for free to the public and can be freely modified, distributed, and reused by anyone under an open license. This means that the book's content, source code, and other resources are openly accessible and can be adapted for different purposes.

Why is the book on special relativity available for free download?

The book on special relativity is available for free download because it has been released under an open license, which allows for anyone to access and use the book's content for educational or personal purposes. This helps to make knowledge and information more accessible and promotes collaborative learning and research.

Who can download and use the open-source book on special relativity?

Anyone can download and use the open-source book on special relativity, as long as they comply with the terms of the open license under which the book has been released. This includes giving proper attribution to the author and not using the book's content for commercial purposes without permission.

Can I modify and share the open-source book on special relativity?

Yes, you can modify and share the open-source book on special relativity as long as you comply with the terms of the open license. This means that you must make your modifications openly available for others to use and distribute, and you must give proper attribution to the original author.

What is the benefit of having an open-source book on special relativity?

Having an open-source book on special relativity allows for easier access to information and promotes collaboration and sharing of knowledge. It also encourages continuous improvement and adaptation of the book's content, making it a valuable resource for students and scientists alike.