Open source code that hysys was built on

In summary, the open source code for Hysys is likely protected by law and not available to the public. However, you can look for software that is similar and try to find the source code yourself.
rppearso
Does anyone know what the open source code is called that hysys was built on so I can file a freedom of information act paper work. I would also like to do this for NEC-2 for antenna radiation modeling.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not quite the answer but some useful background :

https://esupport.aspentech.com/public/documents/Engineering/Aspen%20Plus/V7.0/AspenHYSYSV7_0-Cust.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hoping to find the raw software code so that a new copy could be built up without all the outrageously expensive and onerous licencing restrictions. Hysys is so expensive that basicly only the big boys can afford it. As a professional chemical engineer I feel it is my duty to have my own personal tool kit that is not hinged to maintaining software that is so expensive it will set me back in retirement.

Although lawarance Livermore labs will sell NEC-4 for like $300 so I should probably just buy it so long as I can access the source code for educational purposes.

Hysys is the real wild card though. Thank you for looking at my post though, hopefully this is of some interest to others as well.

Does anyone know of a contact in govt that deals with open source engineering and science code that I could network with?

I highly doubt aspen tech is going to post the open source code their cash cow is built on, they are going to make you dig for it. But as a chemical engineer we rely very heavily on hysys and the sonic velocity calculators BUT the software is license based (annual renewals) and is EXTRMELY expensive, so expesive that few sole proprietors could afford it. However, I feel that as a chemical engineering professional I should have professional software loaded on my personal computer and not be relying on my employer and others for outrageously priced software.

I am the engineer and I should have the competence to take open source code and finish it out and then have that forever residing on my lap top without a bunch of convoluted licencing.

If nothing is forthcoming could you develop your own system ?

From basic scientific information ?

Using general purpose modelling software ?

rppearso said:
Does anyone know of a contact in govt that deals with open source engineering and science code that I could network with?
You can look up Hisim and see if that leads anywhere

or try here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chemical_process_simulators

You might get lucky with what you want.

By the way, I don't know nothing about nothing here, but was just poking around and hopefully it helps you out.

Awsome, thank you I just downloaded DWSIM so we will see how that works.

I could program my own however the tricky part is the component data base and all the interaction parameters, that was likely done by a govt program and would be nearly impossible for one individual to compile and code. Building out heat transfer, sonic compressible gas flow, mass transfer would be doable but are not highly useful without the massive compoent data base.

1. What is open source code?

Open source code refers to software that is freely available for anyone to use, modify, and distribute without any restrictions or licensing fees.

2. Why was Hysys built on open source code?

Hysys, like many other software programs, was built on open source code in order to save time and resources. By using existing code, developers can focus on creating new features and functionality instead of starting from scratch.

3. What are the benefits of using open source code in Hysys?

Using open source code in Hysys allows for greater flexibility and customization, as well as a larger community of developers who can contribute to the code and improve the software. It also helps to reduce costs and increase the speed of development.

4. Is Hysys completely made up of open source code?

No, Hysys is not completely made up of open source code. While it does use some open source components, it also has proprietary code that is developed and owned by its creators.

5. Can I contribute to the open source code that Hysys was built on?

Yes, you can contribute to the open source code that Hysys was built on. Many open source projects welcome contributions from the community, whether it be through reporting bugs, suggesting improvements, or even submitting code changes.