Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Opening a bit map in Visual C++

1. Sep 5, 2006 #1
    Could someone recommend a way to open and edit a bitmap file in Visual C++?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2006 #2
    code one? PLenty of packages out there...GL has a their own function and I'm pretty sure .net has an embedded function also. Search the Help option in .net

4. Sep 5, 2006 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're trying to use Visual C++ as a graphics editor? I dunno if that's possible. neurocomp is suggesting ways to write programs which read and write bitmaps.

- Warren

5. Sep 5, 2006 #4

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can do it.
    Lots of calls to kernal and user dll.
    Search the C help file for bitmap functions.
    Don't know if I'd want to do that much work now that you can find an editor to open almost anything.

6. Sep 8, 2006 #5
    what I am interested in...

What I am really interested in is using VC++ to do the projects in a image processing textbook. Nothing practical, just a learning exercise. I have to be able to open and manipulate a bitmap though to get to square one...

7. Sep 8, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should be able to find 100,000 different libraries and snippets of code for opening and reading bitmaps. In fact, the bitmap is so simple that you might even just consider writing your own implementation.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?