C++ IDE - Eclipse vs. Visual C++

In summary, my brother recommended Visual C++ 08, but it's lacking some features that I've come to love in Eclipse. I can't seem to get it to run right in the console, whereas Visual Studio 2008 runs perfectly. Additionally, it doesn't highlight warnings/errors the way that I'm looking for. If anyone knows a way to get Visual C++ to highlight errors/warnings, it would be greatly appreciated.
rafehi
I've become fairly proficient in C (relatively speaking) and want to start learning C++. However, I can't for the life of me get it working with Eclipse. I keep getting errors saying it can't find iostream, even though minGW works perfectly when compiling C.

My brother recommended Visual C++ 08, so I downloaded it but it's lacking some features that I've come to love in Eclipse. It doesn't highlight warnings/errors nor does it have a sidebar listing where all the errors are. It also doesn't run the program right in the console but I can live without that.

If anyone knows a way of how to get Visual C++ to highlight errors/warnings (couldn't find it in options - any plugins that would do so?), it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, does anyone have any idea why Eclipse won't compile C++ code?

Technology news on Phys.org
I've never used Eclipse, but if it's not finding iostream, then you probably don't have your path set correctly. Maybe check to see what minGW uses for it's path and check to see what environment variable(s) Eclipse is looking for to define the path and make sure they're the same?

As far as I know, MSVC++ won't highlight errors and warnings the way that you're looking for. It does take you to the warning/error if you double click on it in the output window, however, which is usually enough for me.

What platform are you on?

-Kerry

KLoux said:
It does take you to the warning/error if you double click on it in the output window

You can also visit all warnings/errors pressing F4.

Thanks for the reply but I got it working a while ago. It turned out I only had a minimal installation of minGW and that the g++ compiler wasn't installed.

I used eclipse a while, and have used Visual Studio since the first release. My work requires that I still use Visual Studio, but I've recently started using Netbeans wherever I can (mainly when writing java) because Netbeans has a far better GUI builder than Eclipse. As for learning C++, it should be a cinch since you know C. Start with one of those web pages showing what's changed in order to give yourself an idea of it, but don't dwell on everything in the list. The biggest change, and all you need to know for the first bit of your C++ career, is that you now have member functions in your structures as well as member variables, you now call structs "classes", and you can make a new class from an existing class through inheritance. Then the next thing to take a look at is function overloading. KNowing those things is 80% of working with C++. All the template stuff, vtables, operator overloading , etc. you can wait on until you become familiar with these main C++-isms I list here.

Related to C++ IDE - Eclipse vs. Visual C++

1. Which IDE is better for beginners, Eclipse or Visual C++?

Both Eclipse and Visual C++ have their own advantages and disadvantages for beginners. Eclipse is a cross-platform IDE and has a user-friendly interface, making it easier for beginners to navigate and use. Visual C++ is a Microsoft product and has a more extensive set of tools and features, making it a better choice for more advanced users. Ultimately, it depends on personal preference and the specific project requirements.

2. Is Eclipse or Visual C++ better for multi-language support?

Eclipse is known for its strong multi-language support, with the ability to integrate various programming languages such as Java, C++, and Python. On the other hand, Visual C++ is primarily used for C++ development and does not have as much support for other languages. Therefore, Eclipse may be a better choice for projects that require working with multiple languages.

3. Does Eclipse or Visual C++ have better debugging capabilities?

Both Eclipse and Visual C++ have robust debugging capabilities, but they differ in their approaches. Eclipse has a built-in debugger that allows for step-by-step execution and variable inspection. Visual C++ has a powerful debugger that includes features like breakpoints and memory debugging. Ultimately, the choice between the two will depend on the programmer's preference.

4. How do Eclipse and Visual C++ compare in terms of performance?

Performance can vary depending on the specific project and hardware, but in general, Visual C++ tends to have better performance than Eclipse. This is because Visual C++ is a native Windows application, while Eclipse runs on a Java virtual machine. However, Eclipse has made significant improvements in its performance over the years, so the difference may not be significant in some cases.

5. Which IDE offers better customization options, Eclipse or Visual C++?

Eclipse is known for its ability to be highly customizable, with a variety of plugins and extensions available to tailor the IDE to one's specific needs. Visual C++ also offers some customization options, but they are not as extensive as Eclipse's. Therefore, if customization is a top priority, Eclipse may be the better choice.