Opening " Forbidden Files" in Outlook

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, the conversation is about receiving a suspect file in Outlook and discussing the potential risks and ways to open it. Some suggest deleting it, while others mention the possibility of it being a false positive. There is also mention of the file containing code from Python's tkinter library and the limitations of antivirus programs in scanning zip files.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Received a " Forbidden " file I know comes from trustworthy source in Outlook. How do I open it?
Hi all,
I received an attached file marked as " suspect" in Outlook, i.e., with the circle with diagonal red slash. I know who sent it to me; they were in front of me at the coffee shop and I know the person. Outlook is not giving me the option, AFAIK, to open it, nor even to inspect it. Any ideas on how to open it?
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Why would you want to open a suspect file? Did you intercept the transmission of this file?

it could well have a malware component. I’d delete and forget it.

jedishrfu said:
Why would you want to open a suspect file? Did you intercept the transmission of this file?

it could well have a malware component. I’d delete and forget it.
No, someone I know sent it to me. Right in front of me, at Sbux.

And you ran a virus checker on the other person's computer before they sent it, right?

Likes hutchphd
It's a zip file with an exe extension. It should be fine.

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and pbuk
Vanadium 50 said:
And you ran a virus checker on the other person's computer before they sent it, right?
It's hard to tell since I remember the message that Windows does not consider Outlook, one of its programs, a trusted source. So evidence is all over the place. But I agree a false positive is better and being cautious/Conservative. I was told by the sender, in person, the content ( please see my reply to Russ below) But I agree it's best to just let go.

I c
russ_watters said:
It's a zip file with an exe extension. It should be fine.
I can't even gauge what the extension is by pointing the cursor towards it. I can't access the file's properties , thus it's extension. I know it contains code from Python's tkinter library.

It's not unusual for antivirus checking programs to block code as they don't know what it is. Antivirus programs can and do check inside zip files for harmful content. There is usually a limit though as to how "deep" into the zip file they can go to check stuff, in my experience it is usually 2 zip files deep.

In my experience if you create a zip file, then create a 2nd zip file containing the 1st zip file, then create a 3rd zip file containing the 2nd zip file...this will usually be enough for the antivirus program not to be able to scan it and allow it through.

Likes WWGD

1. What are "Forbidden Files" in Outlook?

"Forbidden Files" in Outlook refer to certain file types that have been deemed unsafe or unauthorized to open within the email client. These files could potentially contain harmful viruses or malware, and therefore, Outlook has blocked them from being opened to protect the user's computer.

2. Can I still access "Forbidden Files" in Outlook?

Yes, you can still access "Forbidden Files" in Outlook by taking certain steps. First, you can save the file to your computer and then scan it with an antivirus software before opening it. Alternatively, you can change the Outlook settings to allow certain file types to be opened, although this is not recommended as it could compromise the security of your computer.

3. How do I know if a file is "Forbidden" in Outlook?

If a file is "Forbidden" in Outlook, it will typically have a red "X" icon next to it, and you will receive a warning message when you try to open it. Additionally, the file will not open, and you will not be able to preview it within the email.

4. Why does Outlook block certain file types?

Outlook blocks certain file types as a security measure to protect users from potential threats. These file types may have executable code that could harm your computer, or they may contain links to malicious websites. By blocking these files, Outlook helps to prevent viruses and other malware from infecting your computer.

5. How can I prevent "Forbidden Files" from being sent to my email?

To prevent "Forbidden Files" from being sent to your email, you can set up filters or rules within your email account that will automatically block certain file types or attachments. You can also educate yourself on the common file types that are blocked by Outlook and be cautious when opening emails or attachments from unknown senders.