1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operator, eigenstate, small calculation

1. Aug 12, 2016 #1
    Hello :-) I have a small question for you :-)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The Operator [tex] e^{A} [/tex] is definded bei the Taylor expanion [tex] e^{A} = \sum\nolimits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{A^n}{n!} . [/tex]
    Prove that if [tex] |a \rangle[/tex] is an eigenstate of A, that is if [tex] A|a\rangle = a|a\rangle[/tex], then [tex] |a\rangle[/tex] is an eigenstate of [tex] e^{A}[/tex] with the eigenvalue of [tex] e^{a}.[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I show you a very bad attempt:
    [tex] A|a \rangle = a|a \rangle\quad\quad\quad| : |a\rangle |e^{...} [/tex]
    [tex] e^A =e^a \quad\quad\quad| * |a\rangle[/tex]
    [tex] e^A|a\rangle = e^a|a\rangle [/tex]

I would be glad about an info how to do it right... thank you :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I don't even understand what that means.

Start with ##e^A|a\rangle## and use the Taylor expansion of the exponential.

4. Aug 12, 2016 #3

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is a correct definition when ##A## is a bounded operator. However, operators occurring in QM (is this a QM exercise?) are typically not bounded, but they are usually self-adjoint, so you can use a suitable functional calculus.

In view of the above remark, let us assume in addition that ##A## is bounded. Then just apply the series definition, so the first two steps become:
    $$
    e^A|a\rangle = \left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{\frac{A^n}{n!}}\right)|a\rangle = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{\frac{A^n|a\rangle}{n!}}
    $$
    You continue.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  5. Aug 12, 2016 #4
    ok, thank you :-)

yes it is QM. ok thanks

I think you mean [tex] e^A |a\rangle = (\sum\nolimits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{A^n}{n!} )|a\rangle ?[/tex]
    DrClaude used it and you also used it in the second term.

So I will try now:

[tex] e^A |a\rangle = (\sum\nolimits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{A^n}{n!}) |a\rangle = \sum\nolimits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{A^n|a\rangle }{n!} = \sum\nolimits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{a^n|a\rangle }{n!} = (\sum\nolimits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{a^n}{n!}) |a\rangle = e^a |a\rangle [/tex]

It think, that looks fine? :-)

6. Aug 12, 2016 #5

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Thank you, fixed. I think you would have known how to do this exercise.
    Yes, much better! :smile:

7. Aug 12, 2016 #6
    thank you both :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted