Operator in second quantization

• Thread starter Alexios
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello,

I'm struggling with the second quantization formalism. I'd like to derive the hamiltonian of a system with non-interacting particles
[tex]\hat{H}=\int dx\,a(x)^\dagger \left[\frac{\hat{P}}{2m}+V(x)\right]a(x),[/tex]
where [tex]a(x) = \hat{\Psi}(x)[/tex].

I know the second quantized representation of a single-particle operator [tex]\hat{O}[/tex] which is diagonal in the basis [tex]\{|\alpha\rangle\}[/tex]:

[tex]\hat{O}=\sum_i o_{\alpha_i} a_{\alpha_i}^\dagger a_{\alpha_i}[/tex]

My idea was, as a first step, to derive the expression of the linear momentum operator:

[tex]\hat{P}=\sum_i p_{p_i} a_{p_i}^\dagger a_{p_i} =\sum_i \int dx\, \langle x|p_i\rangle a^\dagger(x) \int dx\, \langle p_i|x\rangle a(x) ??[/tex]

The above is probably wrong (and I don't know how to proceed in order to derive an expression which is of similar form as [tex]\hat{H}[/tex])

Any help is much appreciated.

Answers and Replies

My idea was, as a first step, to derive the expression of the linear momentum operator:

[tex]\hat{P}=\sum_i p_{p_i} a_{p_i}^\dagger a_{p_i} =\sum_i \int dx\, \langle x|p_i\rangle a^\dagger(x) \int dx\, \langle p_i|x\rangle a(x) ??[/tex]

The above is probably wrong (and I don't know how to proceed in order to derive an expression which is of similar form as [tex]\hat{H}[/tex])

Any help is much appreciated.
It is wrong, but not very wrong. I guess you are trying to use the change of basis:
[tex]
a_p = \int dx\, \langle p_i|x\rangle a(x)
[/tex]
[tex]
a_p^\dagger = \int dx\, \langle x|p_i\rangle a^\dagger(x)
[/tex]

to expand the diagonal representation
[tex]\hat{P}=\sum_p p a_{p}^\dagger a_{p}[/tex]

Your biggest mistake is failing to use different labels for dummy variables of integration. You should instead have written:
[tex]\hat{P}=\sum_p p \int dx_2\, \langle x_2|p_i\rangle a^\dagger(x_2) \int dx_1\, \langle p_i|x_1\rangle a(x_1)[/tex]
[tex]\hat{P}=\iint dx_2dx_1a^\dagger(x_2) a(x_1)\sum_p p \langle x_2|p_i\rangle \langle p_i|x_1\rangle [/tex]

This takes you closer. Can you manipulate it further to derive what you want?

Thanks, that makes sense to me. As far as I know, the momentum operator in 3 dimensions should be
[tex]\hat{P}=-i\hbar \int d^3 x a^\dagger (x) \nabla a(x)[/tex]

Your equation slightly modified gives
[tex]\int \int dx_1\, dx_2\, a^\dagger (x_2)\langle x_2|\left(\sum \hat{P}_i |p_i\rangle \langle p_i|\right)|x_1\rangle a(x_1)[/tex]

The inner term simplifies to [tex]\langle x_2|\hat{P}|x_1\rangle = -i\hbar \nabla \langle x_2|x_1\rangle[/tex]?! Because [tex]\langle x_2|x_1\rangle = \delta(x_1-x_2)[/tex] the above double integration indeed gives the desired result.

The inner term simplifies to [tex]\langle x_2|\hat{P}|x_1\rangle = -i\hbar \nabla \langle x_2|x_1\rangle[/tex]?! Because [tex]\langle x_2|x_1\rangle = \delta(x_1-x_2)[/tex] the above double integration indeed gives the desired result.
Perfect.
I'd have a preference for saying
[tex]\langle x_2|\hat{P}|x_1\rangle = -i\hbar\delta(x_2-x_1)\nabla_{x_1}[/tex]
since derivatives of delta functions tend to scare me.

As an aside, I'm also a fan of keeping the final answer like:
[tex]
H = \int dxdx' a(x')^\dagger\delta(x-x')\left[\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2 + V(x)\right]a(x)
[/tex]
since that reminds me that we are really looking at a quadratic form.

FWIW, I mentioned some references on second quantization in this post in this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2474928&postcount=14

Thanks a lot.

I'm trying now to derive the second quantized expression for a general two-body operator [tex]\hat{V}[/tex].

Diagonal representation: [tex]\hat{V}=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{ij} v_{ij}\hat{P}_{ij}[/tex]
where [tex]\hat{P}_{ij} = a_i^\dagger a_j^\dagger a_j a_i[/tex] counts the number of pairs of particles in states [tex]|i\rangle, |j\rangle[/tex].

When following the same procedure as before I get an ingegral over [tex] dx_1 \ldots dx_4 [/tex] with the terms

[tex]\langle x_1|v_i\rangle \langle x_2 | v_j \rangle \langle v_j | x_3 \rangle \langle v_i |x_4\rangle [/tex].

Is it correct to rearrange these terms like

[tex]\langle x_1|\otimes \langle x_2| |v_i\rangle \otimes |v_j \rangle \langle v_j | \otimes \langle v_i | |x_3\rangle \otimes |x_4 \rangle [/tex]

so as to plug in [tex]\hat{V} = \sum_{ij} v_{ij} |v_i\rangle \otimes |v_j\rangle \langle v_j|\otimes \langle v_i|[/tex] ?