Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operator in second quantization

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1

I'm struggling with the second quantization formalism. I'd like to derive the hamiltonian of a system with non-interacting particles
    [tex]\hat{H}=\int dx\,a(x)^\dagger \left[\frac{\hat{P}}{2m}+V(x)\right]a(x),[/tex]
    where [tex]a(x) = \hat{\Psi}(x)[/tex].

I know the second quantized representation of a single-particle operator [tex]\hat{O}[/tex] which is diagonal in the basis [tex]\{|\alpha\rangle\}[/tex]:

[tex]\hat{O}=\sum_i o_{\alpha_i} a_{\alpha_i}^\dagger a_{\alpha_i}[/tex]

My idea was, as a first step, to derive the expression of the linear momentum operator:

[tex]\hat{P}=\sum_i p_{p_i} a_{p_i}^\dagger a_{p_i} =\sum_i \int dx\, \langle x|p_i\rangle a^\dagger(x) \int dx\, \langle p_i|x\rangle a(x) ??[/tex]

The above is probably wrong (and I don't know how to proceed in order to derive an expression which is of similar form as [tex]\hat{H}[/tex])

Any help is much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2
    It is wrong, but not very wrong. I guess you are trying to use the change of basis:
    a_p = \int dx\, \langle p_i|x\rangle a(x)
    a_p^\dagger = \int dx\, \langle x|p_i\rangle a^\dagger(x)

to expand the diagonal representation
    [tex]\hat{P}=\sum_p p a_{p}^\dagger a_{p}[/tex]

Your biggest mistake is failing to use different labels for dummy variables of integration. You should instead have written:
    [tex]\hat{P}=\sum_p p \int dx_2\, \langle x_2|p_i\rangle a^\dagger(x_2) \int dx_1\, \langle p_i|x_1\rangle a(x_1)[/tex]
    [tex]\hat{P}=\iint dx_2dx_1a^\dagger(x_2) a(x_1)\sum_p p \langle x_2|p_i\rangle \langle p_i|x_1\rangle [/tex]

This takes you closer. Can you manipulate it further to derive what you want?
  4. Jan 26, 2010 #3
    Thanks, that makes sense to me. As far as I know, the momentum operator in 3 dimensions should be
    [tex]\hat{P}=-i\hbar \int d^3 x a^\dagger (x) \nabla a(x)[/tex]

Your equation slightly modified gives
    [tex]\int \int dx_1\, dx_2\, a^\dagger (x_2)\langle x_2|\left(\sum \hat{P}_i |p_i\rangle \langle p_i|\right)|x_1\rangle a(x_1)[/tex]

The inner term simplifies to [tex]\langle x_2|\hat{P}|x_1\rangle = -i\hbar \nabla \langle x_2|x_1\rangle[/tex]?! Because [tex]\langle x_2|x_1\rangle = \delta(x_1-x_2)[/tex] the above double integration indeed gives the desired result.
  5. Jan 26, 2010 #4
    I'd have a preference for saying
    [tex]\langle x_2|\hat{P}|x_1\rangle = -i\hbar\delta(x_2-x_1)\nabla_{x_1}[/tex]
    since derivatives of delta functions tend to scare me.

As an aside, I'm also a fan of keeping the final answer like:
    H = \int dxdx' a(x')^\dagger\delta(x-x')\left[\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2 + V(x)\right]a(x)
    since that reminds me that we are really looking at a quadratic form.

FWIW, I mentioned some references on second quantization in this post in this thread:
  6. Jan 26, 2010 #5
    Thanks a lot.

I'm trying now to derive the second quantized expression for a general two-body operator [tex]\hat{V}[/tex].

Diagonal representation: [tex]\hat{V}=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{ij} v_{ij}\hat{P}_{ij}[/tex]
    where [tex]\hat{P}_{ij} = a_i^\dagger a_j^\dagger a_j a_i[/tex] counts the number of pairs of particles in states [tex]|i\rangle, |j\rangle[/tex].

When following the same procedure as before I get an ingegral over [tex] dx_1 \ldots dx_4 [/tex] with the terms

[tex]\langle x_1|v_i\rangle \langle x_2 | v_j \rangle \langle v_j | x_3 \rangle \langle v_i |x_4\rangle [/tex].

Is it correct to rearrange these terms like

[tex]\langle x_1|\otimes \langle x_2| |v_i\rangle \otimes |v_j \rangle \langle v_j | \otimes \langle v_i | |x_3\rangle \otimes |x_4 \rangle [/tex]

so as to plug in [tex]\hat{V} = \sum_{ij} v_{ij} |v_i\rangle \otimes |v_j\rangle \langle v_j|\otimes \langle v_i|[/tex] ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook