Operator in second quantization

In summary, the person is trying to derive the hamiltonian for a system of non-interacting particles, but is having difficulty with the second quantization formalism. They say that their first step was to derive the expression of the linear momentum operator, but that this is probably wrong and they don't know how to proceed in order to derive an expression which is of similar form. They ask for help with this and mention that their biggest mistake is failing to use different labels for dummy variables of integration. They say that their equation slightly modified gives
Alexios
Hello,

I'm struggling with the second quantization formalism. I'd like to derive the hamiltonian of a system with non-interacting particles
[tex]\hat{H}=\int dx\,a(x)^\dagger \left[\frac{\hat{P}}{2m}+V(x)\right]a(x),[/tex]
where [tex]a(x) = \hat{\Psi}(x)[/tex].

I know the second quantized representation of a single-particle operator [tex]\hat{O}[/tex] which is diagonal in the basis [tex]\{|\alpha\rangle\}[/tex]:

[tex]\hat{O}=\sum_i o_{\alpha_i} a_{\alpha_i}^\dagger a_{\alpha_i}[/tex]

My idea was, as a first step, to derive the expression of the linear momentum operator:

[tex]\hat{P}=\sum_i p_{p_i} a_{p_i}^\dagger a_{p_i} =\sum_i \int dx\, \langle x|p_i\rangle a^\dagger(x) \int dx\, \langle p_i|x\rangle a(x) ??[/tex]

The above is probably wrong (and I don't know how to proceed in order to derive an expression which is of similar form as [tex]\hat{H}[/tex])

Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexios said:
My idea was, as a first step, to derive the expression of the linear momentum operator:

[tex]\hat{P}=\sum_i p_{p_i} a_{p_i}^\dagger a_{p_i} =\sum_i \int dx\, \langle x|p_i\rangle a^\dagger(x) \int dx\, \langle p_i|x\rangle a(x) ??[/tex]

The above is probably wrong (and I don't know how to proceed in order to derive an expression which is of similar form as [tex]\hat{H}[/tex])

Any help is much appreciated.
It is wrong, but not very wrong. I guess you are trying to use the change of basis:
[tex]
a_p = \int dx\, \langle p_i|x\rangle a(x)
[/tex]
[tex]
a_p^\dagger = \int dx\, \langle x|p_i\rangle a^\dagger(x)
[/tex]

to expand the diagonal representation
[tex]\hat{P}=\sum_p p a_{p}^\dagger a_{p}[/tex]

Your biggest mistake is failing to use different labels for dummy variables of integration. You should instead have written:
[tex]\hat{P}=\sum_p p \int dx_2\, \langle x_2|p_i\rangle a^\dagger(x_2) \int dx_1\, \langle p_i|x_1\rangle a(x_1)[/tex]
[tex]\hat{P}=\iint dx_2dx_1a^\dagger(x_2) a(x_1)\sum_p p \langle x_2|p_i\rangle \langle p_i|x_1\rangle [/tex]

This takes you closer. Can you manipulate it further to derive what you want?

Thanks, that makes sense to me. As far as I know, the momentum operator in 3 dimensions should be
[tex]\hat{P}=-i\hbar \int d^3 x a^\dagger (x) \nabla a(x)[/tex]

Your equation slightly modified gives
[tex]\int \int dx_1\, dx_2\, a^\dagger (x_2)\langle x_2|\left(\sum \hat{P}_i |p_i\rangle \langle p_i|\right)|x_1\rangle a(x_1)[/tex]

The inner term simplifies to [tex]\langle x_2|\hat{P}|x_1\rangle = -i\hbar \nabla \langle x_2|x_1\rangle[/tex]?! Because [tex]\langle x_2|x_1\rangle = \delta(x_1-x_2)[/tex] the above double integration indeed gives the desired result.

Alexios said:
The inner term simplifies to [tex]\langle x_2|\hat{P}|x_1\rangle = -i\hbar \nabla \langle x_2|x_1\rangle[/tex]?! Because [tex]\langle x_2|x_1\rangle = \delta(x_1-x_2)[/tex] the above double integration indeed gives the desired result.
Perfect.
I'd have a preference for saying
[tex]\langle x_2|\hat{P}|x_1\rangle = -i\hbar\delta(x_2-x_1)\nabla_{x_1}[/tex]
since derivatives of delta functions tend to scare me.

As an aside, I'm also a fan of keeping the final answer like:
[tex]
H = \int dxdx' a(x')^\dagger\delta(x-x')\left[\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2 + V(x)\right]a(x)
[/tex]
since that reminds me that we are really looking at a quadratic form.

FWIW, I mentioned some references on second quantization in this post in this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2474928&postcount=14

Thanks a lot.

I'm trying now to derive the second quantized expression for a general two-body operator [tex]\hat{V}[/tex].

Diagonal representation: [tex]\hat{V}=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{ij} v_{ij}\hat{P}_{ij}[/tex]
where [tex]\hat{P}_{ij} = a_i^\dagger a_j^\dagger a_j a_i[/tex] counts the number of pairs of particles in states [tex]|i\rangle, |j\rangle[/tex].

When following the same procedure as before I get an ingegral over [tex] dx_1 \ldots dx_4 [/tex] with the terms

[tex]\langle x_1|v_i\rangle \langle x_2 | v_j \rangle \langle v_j | x_3 \rangle \langle v_i |x_4\rangle [/tex].

Is it correct to rearrange these terms like

[tex]\langle x_1|\otimes \langle x_2| |v_i\rangle \otimes |v_j \rangle \langle v_j | \otimes \langle v_i | |x_3\rangle \otimes |x_4 \rangle [/tex]

so as to plug in [tex]\hat{V} = \sum_{ij} v_{ij} |v_i\rangle \otimes |v_j\rangle \langle v_j|\otimes \langle v_i|[/tex] ?

1. What is an operator in second quantization?

An operator in second quantization is a mathematical representation of a physical quantity or property in quantum mechanics. It is used to describe the behavior and interactions of quantum particles in a many-body system.

2. How is an operator in second quantization different from a classical operator?

An operator in second quantization is different from a classical operator in that it operates on quantum states, which are represented by wavefunctions, rather than classical variables. This allows for the description of quantum phenomena such as superposition and entanglement.

3. What are some examples of operators in second quantization?

Some examples of operators in second quantization include the creation and annihilation operators, which are used to represent the addition or removal of a particle from a quantum state, and the Hamiltonian operator, which describes the total energy of a quantum system.

4. How do you perform operations with operators in second quantization?

To perform operations with operators in second quantization, you typically use mathematical techniques such as commutation and anticommutation relations. These relations allow you to manipulate operators and calculate the outcome of operations on quantum states.

5. What is the significance of operators in second quantization in quantum mechanics?

Operators in second quantization are a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics, as they allow for the precise description and prediction of the behavior of quantum systems. They are essential in many areas of quantum physics, including quantum field theory, condensed matter physics, and atomic and molecular physics.