1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operator with strictly positive eigenvalues

1. Oct 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a Hilbert space with a (not necessarily orthogonal) basis [tex]\{f_i\}[/tex] Show that [tex]G=\sum_i |f_i\rangle\langle f_i|[/tex] has strictly positive eigenvalues.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that [tex]G=\sum_i |f_i\rangle\langle f_i|[/tex] is hermitian. Therefore, the eigenvalues are real and the Hilbert space has an orthonormal basis of eigenvectors of G. However, a general hermitian matrix does not need to be positive definite. Therefore, I need another approach.

I consider an eigenvector [tex]|a\rangle = \sum_i a_i |f_i\rangle[/tex] with [tex]G|a\rangle = \lambda|a\rangle[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow \lambda\sum_j a_j |f_j\rangle = \lambda |a\rangle = G |a\rangle = \sum_{ij}a_i |f_j\rangle\langle f_j|f_i\rangle[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow \lambda = \frac{1}{a_j}\sum_{i}a_i \langle f_j|f_i\rangle[/tex]
    Unfortunately, I cannot conclude [tex]\lambda>0[/tex] from that.

Can anybody help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you show that G and G2 are related ?

4. Oct 26, 2012 #3
    Unfortunately, I don't know how to relate G² and G.

[tex]G^2=\sum_{ij}|f_i\rangle\langle f_i|f_j\rangle\langle f_j|[/tex]
    I would need an expression for [tex]\langle f_i|f_j\rangle[/tex] But since the basis set is not orthonormal I don't see what this could be.

5. Oct 27, 2012 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alright. Different approach. Let psi be an eigenvector of G with eigenvalue a. Then from the spectral equation you have

a=1/normsq(psi) * <psi|G|psi> = 1/normsq(psi) * sum (i) <psi|f_i><f_i|psi> = ...

Can you now show the dots hide a number > 0 ?

6. Oct 27, 2012 #5
    [tex]\ldots = \frac{1}{||\,|\psi\rangle||^2} \sum_i |\langle \psi | f_i\rangle|^2[/tex]

Since psi ist not the zero vector (as it is an eigenvector) its overlap with at least one of the basis vectors is non-zero. Therefore, the sum of squares is strictly greater than 0.

Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook