Operators and eigenstates/values

• Thread starter nmsurobert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the conversation discussed the Hermitian operator A^ corresponding to an observable A with two eigenstates and eigenvalues. The goal was to show that A^ can be written in the form A^ = a1|a1><a1| + a2|a2><a2|. The solution involved using the identity operator and the completeness theorem.
nmsurobert

Homework Statement

Let the Hermitian operator A^ corresponding to the observable A have two eigenstates |a1> and |a2> with eigenvalues a1 and a2, respectively, where a1 ≠ a2. Show that A^ can be written in the form A^ = a1|a1><a1| + a2|a2><a2|.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I reached out the instructor for some guidance but I am still confused.
To my understanding i should start with A^|ψ>. Where |ψ> is some arbitrary spin state.
and i don't know where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
The identity operator can be written as

$$
1 = |1\rangle \langle 1| + |2\rangle \langle 2| \\
$$

For example suppose ##|\psi\rangle = c_1 |1\rangle + c_2|2\rangle##
$$ |\psi \rangle = 1|\psi \rangle = |1\rangle \langle 1|\psi\rangle + |2\rangle \langle 2| \psi \rangle \\
= |1\rangle c1 + |2\rangle c2 \\
= |\psi \rangle
$$

Suppose you tried putting "1" on both sides of your operator?

Have you heard about completeness theorem?

Thank you zhaos, that's actually a lot of help.

Blue leaf, I have not heard of completeness theorem. But I will give it a Google!

Completeness theorem is exactly what zhaos wrote in the first equation in his post.

1. What is an operator in quantum mechanics?

An operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical representation of a physical observable, such as position, momentum, or energy. It acts on a wavefunction to produce a new wavefunction, which contains information about the observable quantity.

2. What are eigenstates and eigenvalues?

Eigenstates are the possible states that a system can be in, while eigenvalues are the corresponding values that can be measured for a particular observable. They are important in quantum mechanics because they represent the possible outcomes of a measurement.

3. How do eigenstates and eigenvalues relate to operators?

When an operator acts on an eigenstate, the resulting wavefunction is a multiple of the original eigenstate, with the multiplier being the eigenvalue. This means that the eigenvalue represents the value that will be measured when the corresponding operator is applied to the eigenstate.

4. What is the significance of the eigenvalue equation?

The eigenvalue equation, also known as the Schrödinger equation, is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics. It describes how a quantum system evolves over time and relates the energy of a system to its wavefunction. Solving this equation allows us to determine the possible states and values of a system.

5. Can operators have more than one set of eigenstates and eigenvalues?

Yes, operators can have multiple sets of eigenstates and eigenvalues. This is because different operators can represent different observables, and a single system can have multiple observables that can be measured. This means that a system can have different sets of eigenstates and eigenvalues for each observable, depending on which operator is applied.