Numerically find the energy of the delta-well's bound state

In summary, the conversation is about an assignment involving finding the energy of a delta-potential's bound state using the time-independent Schrödinger equation and converting it into an eigenvalue problem. The problem at hand is figuring out the code, despite having completed all theoretical calculations. The code involves importing libraries, setting parameter values, performing a parameter sanity check, and creating a matrix to calculate the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. There may be numerical scaling and roundoff error problems, and it is recommended to set the matrix H as t times another matrix A, as this can simplify the calculations and avoid potential errors.
Muizz
I'm working on an assignment where I'm required to numerically find the energy of a delta-potential's bound state. To do this, we've converted the time-independent schrödinger equation to an eigenvalue problem with E the eigen value, ψ the eigen vector and H a matrix as follows:
391fcef12d.png

with ##t = \frac{\hbar^2}{2ma^2}##.

Now, my specific problem is this:
3e839211e6.png

I've already done all the theoretical calculations, and am just left with figuring out the code. I've tried a bunch of things, but I haven't been able to get the bound state to appear. My code is as follows:

Python:
import numpy as np
import matplotlib
matplotlib.use("TkAgg")
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

#################################################
# Parameter input

hbar = 1.05e-34
h    = 6.626e-34
m    = 1
N    = 400
a    = 1
L    = N * a
t    = hbar**2 / ( 2 * m * a**2)

# Parameter sanity check
assert N%2 == 0, 'N must be an even number'
assert m    > 0, 'Mass must be positive'
assert a    > 0, 'Distance between points must be positive'
assert t   >= 0, 'T must be non-negative. Make sure hbar is positive.'

# Base code
for i in range(0,100,10):
    # Building the hamiltonian operator matrix and calculating its eigen
    # values (eval) and eigen vectors (evec)
    n  = int(N/2)
    a1 = np.full((N-1,), -t)
    a2 = np.full((N,), 2*t)
    Hamiltonian = np.diag(a1, -1) +  np.diag(a2) + np.diag(a1, 1)
    Hamiltonian[n,n] = Hamiltonian[n,n]- 1*10**i  # Adds potential in middle.
    eval, evec = np.linalg.eigh(Hamiltonian) # use .eig() if Hamiltonian is not symmetric

plt.plot(evec)
    plt.show()
I'm quite desperate, hence the post here. Thanks in advance for all your help!

For those amongst you who'd prefer a nicely formatted image of the assignment: https://puu.sh/yKp4D/b668471918.png

Attachments

• 391fcef12d.png
    391fcef12d.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 986
  • 3e839211e6.png
    3e839211e6.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 911
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Muizz said:
I'm working on an assignment where I'm required to numerically find the energy of a delta-potential's bound state. To do this, we've converted the time-independent schrödinger equation to an eigenvalue problem with E the eigen value, ψ the eigen vector and H a matrix as follows:
View attachment 217127
with t = [$]\frac{\hbar^2}{2ma^2}[/$].

Now, my specific problem is this:
View attachment 217128

I've already done all the theoretical calculations, and am just left with figuring out the code. I've tried a bunch of things, but I haven't been able to get the bound state to appear. My code is as follows:

Python:
import numpy as np
import matplotlib
matplotlib.use("TkAgg")
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

# Parameter input

hbar = 1.05e-34
h    = 6.626e-34
m    = 1
N    = 400
a    = 1
L    = N * a
t    = hbar**2 / ( 2 * m * a**2)

# Parameter sanity check
assert N%2 == 0, 'N must be an even number'
assert m    > 0, 'Mass must be positive'
assert a    > 0, 'Distance between points must be positive'
assert t   >= 0, 'T must be non-negative. Make sure hbar is positive.'

# Base code
for i in range(0,100,10):
    # Building the hamiltonian operator matrix and calculating its eigen
    # values (eval) and eigen vectors (evec)
    n  = int(N/2)
    a1 = np.full((N-1,), -t)
    a2 = np.full((N,), 2*t)
    Hamiltonian = np.diag(a1, -1) +  np.diag(a2) + np.diag(a1, 1)
    Hamiltonian[n,n] = Hamiltonian[n,n]- 1*10**i  # Adds potential in middle.
    eval, evec = np.linalg.eigh(Hamiltonian) # use .eig() if Hamiltonian is not symmetric

plt.plot(evec)
    plt.show()
I'm quite desperate, hence the post here. Thanks in advance for all your help!

For those amongst you who'd prefer a nicely formatted image of the assignment: https://puu.sh/yKp4D/b668471918.png

I do not see any place where you are computing an eigenvalue or an eigenvector, unless is is in a procedure that is called somewhere.

Anyway, the type of approach you attempt is quite possibly bound to fail, because of numerical scaling problems and severe roundoff error problems. Your matrix H has a possibly small entry ##t##. It is much better to set ##H = t A## where ##A## is the matrix you would get if you put ##t = 1##. Now, if ##\lambda## is an eigenvalue of ##A## and ##v## is an eigenvector, then ##t \lambda## is an eigenvalue of ##H = tA## and ##v## is an eigenvector (of both ##A## and ##H##). All the numerical work of finding eigenvalues/eigenvectors of ##A## is divorced from the numerical value of ##t##. However, you can just multiply your answer by ##t## as the very last step of you solution procedure, after all the hard work has been done.

According to your calculations, at what is the energy of the bound state?

By the way, it looks strange that are are using SI units for ħ but take the mass and a to be 1. I would use units such that ħ = 1.

Ray Vickson said:
I do not see any place where you are computing an eigenvalue or an eigenvector, unless is is in a procedure that is called somewhere.
It's the action of numpy.linalg.eigh.

Ray Vickson said:

Anyway, the type of approach you attempt is quite possibly bound to fail, because of numerical scaling problems and severe roundoff error problems. Your matrix H has a possibly small entry ##t##. It is much better to set ##H = t A## where ##A## is the matrix you would get if you put ##t = 1##. Now, if ##\lambda## is an eigenvalue of ##A## and ##v## is an eigenvector, then ##t \lambda## is an eigenvalue of ##H = tA## and ##v## is an eigenvector (of both ##A## and ##H##). All the numerical work of finding eigenvalues/eigenvectors of ##A## is divorced from the numerical value of ##t##. However, you can just multiply your answer by ##t## as the very last step of you solution procedure, after all the hard work has been done.
Right. That makes a lot of sense (and explains why they're telling my to vary ##V_0/t##.. Changing this little thing gets a much nicer curve, I'll still need to verify if it's the correct curve, but I call this progress :) Thanks!
Edit: Turns out I'm ~2 orders of magnitude off now.. Progress indeed.

DrClaude said:
According to your calculations, at what is the energy of the bound state?

By the way, it looks strange that are are using SI units for ħ but take the mass and a to be 1. I would use units such that ħ = 1.
That's my doing. I figured I knew ##\hbar## but not the rest so I only kept it in SI units.

According to my calculations, the bound state occurs at ##E = -\frac{m}{2\hbar^2}##. Note how I leave out a factor (as I do in my code) because I don't know how to compensate for ##\lambda\delta(x)##.

Last edited:

Related to Numerically find the energy of the delta-well's bound state

1. What is a delta-well?

A delta-well is a type of potential well in quantum mechanics that is characterized by a very narrow and deep potential barrier, resembling the Greek letter delta (Δ). It is often used as a simplified model to study bound states in quantum systems.

2. How is the energy of the delta-well's bound state determined numerically?

The energy of the delta-well's bound state can be determined numerically by solving the time-independent Schrödinger equation for the system, using methods such as the shooting method or the finite difference method. These methods involve approximating the wavefunction and energy eigenvalue by discretizing the problem and solving it iteratively.

3. What factors affect the energy of the delta-well's bound state?

The energy of the delta-well's bound state is affected by several factors, including the depth and width of the potential well, the strength of the delta-function potential, and the mass of the particle in the system. Additionally, the energy may also be influenced by any external forces or perturbations acting on the system.

4. Can the energy of the delta-well's bound state be negative?

Yes, the energy of the delta-well's bound state can be negative. This is because the potential well is very narrow and deep, and the energy eigenvalues can take on negative values due to the quantum mechanical phenomenon of tunneling. In this case, the particle has a non-zero probability of being found outside of the potential well.

5. How does the energy of the delta-well's bound state change with the depth of the potential well?

The energy of the delta-well's bound state is inversely proportional to the depth of the potential well. This means that as the depth of the potential well increases, the energy of the bound state decreases. This relationship can be explained by the fact that a deeper potential well allows for a greater region of confinement for the particle, resulting in lower energy levels.