Opinion on including a Sorority on Resume

In summary, most people don't think that mentioning your sorority affiliation on a resume hurts your chances for academic positions, but it's something to consider.
SuchaNatural
I'm a computational and applied math major with a physics minor and am considering rushing a sorority this fall but am concerned about how will it affect my career prospects. There are many claims that sororities improve leadership skills/build networks but I have a feeling that most of these women are headed into business, not STEM. I have also heard that noting your sorority affiliation on a resume can actually hurt your chances for positions in academia and was wondering if anyone had any insight into this subject. Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a nationally recognized sorority and can you give impressive examples of leadership?

The ones I'm looking at are nationally recognized. Examples of leadership would be orchestrating philanthropic and or social events. I don't know if that counts as "impressive", but it's something. What I heard is that academic circles tend to associate sororities with promiscuous and not especially intellectually curious women and therefore it's frowned upon to include a sorority affiliation on a resume for such positions.

SuchaNatural said:
What I heard is that academic circles tend to associate sororities with promiscuous and not especially intellectually curious women
So you are planning on working in academia as opposed to industry after you graduate?

I'm not sure yet. I have had good internship-type experiences in both realms and still have a couple years until I finish my undergraduate degree, but if I was applying to such a position it would be useful to know whether or not the resume I send in should or should not mention a sorority.

I have no insight into the academic employment world, but in the industrial world where I work (high-tech R&D in Silicon Valley), if you could show some leadership angles to the sorority membership, that would be a bit of a plus, IMO.

Great. I'll keep that in mind. I appreciate it!

Likes berkeman
I would not mention it even on a business resume. If, as you say, it provided leadership experience, I would put those leadership experiences down. Waht you did is more important than who you associated with.

Likes Jaeusm
I think V-50 is right, mention the experiences if they're worth mentioning.

SuchaNatural said:
... What I heard is that academic circles tend to associate sororities with promiscuous and not especially intellectually curious women ...

Wow, really? In the "real world" anyone saying stuff like that will be heading to the HR department for sensitivity and diversity training.

I think just about anyone who's been to university has formed some kind of opinion about sororities or fraternities. In my experience they're not all created equal. I've had experiences with some that would lead me to place them on equal footing with criminal gangs. I've had experiences with others that would lead me to see them a lot more as students would like to be perceived - as social organizations that do charitable work, encourage academics, social responsibility and leadership.

The thing is, I suspect, most people don't really bother to make distinctions. If their initial experience is one way, they'll tend to associate all fraternities or sororities with that experience.

And I agree with what Vanadium50 said. Either way, you don't want to be evaluated based on the group that you chose to associate with. You want to be evaluated based on what you've done. So if you join a sorority and organize a fundraiser that brings in $20k for spinal cord research - that goes on. If you just used the house as a place to crash and went to parties... not so much.

Likes TheCanadian and Greg Bernhardt
Only if you were in a leadership position, ideally an elected one. Otherwise I don't think that anyone cares what you did in your free time, since that says nothing about your abilities or skills or why anyone should hire you.

Likes TMFKAN64
gmax137 said:
Wow, really? In the "real world" anyone saying stuff like that will be heading to the HR department for sensitivity and diversity training.
I'm not sure what real world you're referring to, but I've heard much worse while working in government positions.

I don't see the leadership angle here. Also, I don't think sororities are something you join in the hopes it gives your resume an edge. It's different than extracurricular activities in high school for college applications, I doubt anyone would care one way or another.

Join because you like what they're selling and want to be a part of that, not for some perceived benefit when applying for future jobs.

Also determine if the time you spend with a sorority couldn't be put to better use elsewhere in your studies, which are far more important.

What is the benefit of including a sorority on a resume?

Including a sorority on a resume can demonstrate a variety of skills and experiences. It can show teamwork and leadership abilities through participation in sorority events and philanthropy projects. It can also highlight communication and networking skills through connections with other sorority members and alumni.

Will including a sorority on a resume be viewed negatively by potential employers?

This largely depends on the employer and their individual biases. However, most employers recognize the value of extracurricular involvement and leadership experience, which can be gained through participation in a sorority. As long as it is presented professionally and relevant to the job, it is unlikely to be viewed negatively.

How can I make my sorority involvement stand out on my resume?

One way to make your sorority involvement stand out is to highlight specific accomplishments or positions held within the organization. This can include serving as a committee chair, organizing a successful event, or holding a leadership position. Additionally, you can mention any awards or recognition received through your sorority.

Should I include my sorority involvement if I have already graduated?

If you have recent and relevant work or volunteer experience, it may not be necessary to include your sorority involvement on your resume. However, if your sorority experience is more recent and demonstrates skills or experiences that are relevant to the job, it can still be beneficial to include it on your resume.

Is it necessary to include the name of my sorority on my resume?

In most cases, it is not necessary to include the name of your sorority on your resume. Instead, focus on the skills and experiences gained through your involvement. However, if your sorority is well-known or has a strong reputation, it may be beneficial to include the name as a way to showcase your involvement and connections.